G

I have an ASUS TX97-E motherboard with an Intel's 430TX PCIset chipset. What I want to know is can this chipset/motherboard be upgraded and if it can to what. My clock speed is currently 233MHz.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Not sure what you mean by upgrading the chipset/motherboard?

The only motherboard upgrade is updating the BIOS.

I believe your ASUS board has a 75mhz fsb limit, it is not a super socket 7 board so you couldn't install an AMD k6-2 500 for example, as you don't have 100mhz fsb support.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't listen to that nut. I just checked the website, you can clock up to 500MHz with that board. Now for the revision stuff-board revision 3.0 and higher will support as low as 2.1v core and 4.5x multipliers. ALL REVISIONS will support up to 83MHz FSB, but experience has told me that 75 is often more stable, so you can try 83, but it may or may not work.
OK, now, K6-2 processors of satndard voltage will accept up to 2.8v core, as long as they are properly cooled. A socket Athlon or PIII cooler will fit, if you use a standard clip. I have done this a few times and have never had one fail from the higher voltage.

K6-2 processors faster than 350MHz will support the 2x=6x internal multiplier interpretation, meaning that when you set them to 133 they run 400! So if you set the bus at 2x75, the processor interprets this to 6x75=450! And at 83.5 you get 500!
So get whatever speed processor you want, you can set the board at 2x to get 6x, and set the bus speed at 66 for the 400, 75 for the 450, or 83 for the 500, and not even need to overclock!
Be aware that BIOS might give you a 2x number, because it is not programed to understand the higher numbers, but any CPU test, such as WCPUID, will give you the correct numbers.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks to you both hammerhead and crashman for responding to my post. Basically, what I want to do is to upgrade my processor. I did some surfing and found that my 430TX chipset is a socket 7. I believe crashman understands what I was trying to say when I posted my first posting. The only problem is a lot of what he said is pretty new to me but what I do gather from everything (if I'm not mistaken)is that I can upgrade my processor.
Does anyone know where I can get some literature on how to go about my ugrade step by step.
Thanks again guys.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Crashman, I am not a nut.

I will happily accept you have more experience than me, and bow to your superior knowledge;-)

However the sites I checked all said 75mhz fsb is the limit for this board.

We all give the best advice we can, and none of us are infallible (this applies to you too).

Try and be a little more magnanimous, you'll feel better for it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All the jumper information I posted came from Asus's (Taiwan) jumper specs page for that board (including bus speed)! As for the 2x=6x issue, it is well documented and used by me several times.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can upgrade. Here's the information you need.

1.)For 6x clock, the K6-2 processor you need interprets 2x as 6x via an internal multiplier. For jumper settings, refer to this page <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/pentium/tx97-e/tx97e-jumper.html" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/pentium/tx97-e/tx97e-jumper.html</A>

2.)Notice there are two versions of the board, revision 3 or later and the earlier revisions. You should find the revision number on your board.

3.)This motherboard will run stable at a higher bus speed, 75MHz, and may even be stable at 83MHz bus speed. Check the link above for the jumper settings.

4.)Your motherboard is already set to 2.8v CPU core voltage if you are using the Intel processor. If your motherboard is revision 3 or later, you can set it lower. If it is older than that, th 2.8 volt setting will work for the new processor as long as you have adequate cooling. Any decent AMD Athlon or Pentium 3 socket type cooler will work. I prefer the Thermaltake VolcanoII.

5.)If you are using Windows 95, you will need to download a patch from www.amd.com to use faster processors. If you are using any other OS, such as Windows 98, you do not need this patch.

6.)BIOS may report the 2x speed, but rest assured you will get the 6x speed. WCPUID is a free program you can download to verify the speed of your processor.