Will it also take to SP4 for WinXP

WinXPs Service Pack 2, is just sheer crap, if Microsoft can't do any better than this, then Linux based systems are really beginning to look good, I mean if you constantly have to be finding or waiting for the fix, to solve the problems arising from SP2 being installed on your machine, you may as well just bite the bullet and configure your own Linux system.

It will probably be about WinXP SP4, like Win2K, before Microsoft gets all the bugs out, if you haven't experienced any problems yet, you must be from another planet, or just don't realize SP2 is your problem.

This is just a venting statement from all the problems I've encountered, and that I'm fed up with it, and reinstalled WinXP SP1 and the problems are gone.

They're supposed to be making XP better, not worse!

Since I'm on a software bashing roll, Nortons Anti-Virus is also crap, all its good for is to inform you that a virus is on your machine, it sucks at getting rid of the thing, Avast's Home Version is free for personal use and runs circles around Nortons, Nortons Ghost 2003 also sucks.

Well I'm through venting, have a good night everybody!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have had no problems with sp2.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Well you are one of the lucky ones then I'd say, and you're not alone for sure and neither am I, knowing your experience level from past posts you're probably running a machine you built yourself, if thats right would you list your hardware specs, out of curiosity I'd like to see if certain hardware combinations are the main problem with SP2, and maybe we can begin to pin down why these problems are occurring for some and not others, the service packs are the future and eventual success of WinXP, thats for sure.

My Specs:
AMD XP3200+ Barton Core CPU
1536 mb Corsair XMS PC3200 400mhz RAM
SOYO KT600 Ultra M/B
ATI 9800Pro / 128mb Ram Graphics Card
2 120gb SATA Seagate HDDs in mirrored RAID array
2 40gb PATA Maxtor HDDs 1 second system boot drive/1 storage
Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Going from rant to research..heh heh..
My first bout with SP2 went bad. I traced the problems I was having to third party software not being compatible with SP2. Replacing this software with either something else or updated versions of what I had cured it.

Started with XP-Pro
ASUS P4PE
P4 2.66 Northwood
2x 512 PC2700 Crucial DDR RAM
Leadtek GF4 128MB Ti4400 (4xAGP)
Silicon Image SiI 0680 Ultra-ATA/133 Medley RAID Controller
5x HDDs Western Digital
3x optical drives

USB Devices:
7in1 card reader
Epson C84 printer
Epson 4180 Photo scanner
2x external enclosures; 1 optical, 1 HDD

....WW (5.0)

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=50731#50731" target="_new">Check this thread out too</A>

No problems on any of the machines I've installed it on either. (Except one that was messed up to begin with).

My specs:

P4B 2.53
Gigabyte GA-8INX Mobo
4 x 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM
ATi 9700Pro
SB Audigy 2
60GB WD Hard drive (8MB cache)
LG DVD/CD-RW Combo
Lite-On DVD-RW

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
msi k8n neo 2 platinum
winchester 3200
1 gig corsair ram
saphire 9500 pro
no problems with sp2 for about 4 months now. running hl2, far cry, fah, aim, dvd shrink..

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
<A HREF="http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~33~2735094,00.html?search=filter" target="_new">How secure is your computer?

“Honey pot” experiment shows unprotected Windows SP 1 at risk</A>

Windows Service Pack 1, or SP 1, however, was another story. It's an older version of Windows that was sold in computer stores until a few months ago.

SP 1 was attacked 4,857 times. It was infested within 18 minutes by the Blaster and Sasser worms. Within an hour it became a "bot," or a machine controlled by a remote computer, and began attacking other Windows computers.

<b>FireFox 1.0.1: Works for me … You’re on your own …</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 03/07/05 05:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Abit NF7-S v2
XP 2500+
512mb Corsair XMS
Geforce 6600GT
Lite-On DVD
Sony CD/RW
WD 20gb HDD
Maxtor 40gb HDD
(Yep, I'm running out of HDD space. :lol:

Not a single problem with SP2.
Also, my parents have a Dell 8200, :eek: (I think that's what it is) and don't have any problems. I'm not sure of all the specs though.

RichPLS

Champion
No problems with SP2 here, infact performance increased. Also been running NAV and have not had a virus in over 8 years.

Custom home built with WinXP Pro SP-2 slipstreamed.
P4 Prescott 3200
Gigabyte GKNXP Ultra-64
2-gigs Corsair TwinXL Pro 2-2-2-5
ATI X800XT PE
ATI TV Wonder Pro
74gb Raptor
2x250gb Maxtor MaxLine III
Plextor 712 DVD burner

Have you tried slipsteaming your installation cd so you install SP2 first time? I realize you can not go back, but it is the best way.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
No probs on any desktop or laptop I own (link on sig) and no probs on the dozens and dozens of other computers I've installed it on. It has actually greatly helped every machine I put it on.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I read that article....somwhere near the beginning it mentions these are completely unprotected systems; no AV and no firewall.

Hopefully anyone reading this forum is not quite so foolish...

....WW (5.0)

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
It was a test ... to measure the vunerabilities of <b>unprotected</b> systems ... although SP2 comes with a native firewall, if you don't have anything else ...

<b>FireFox 1.0.1: Works for me … You’re on your own …</b>

I just run the inbuild firewall - no antivirus - no spyware detection.

My PC has been fine for months. I ran adaware 2 mins a go just to see how bad it was, and it only detected cookies!

Yep, I'm leet.

riser

Illustrious
No offence but I'm getting sick of hearing everyone complain about Microsoft products, mainly the OS.

Yeah yeah they have problems like everything else. Games that come out have problems, blah blah blah.
When you have 99% of hackers trying to find some flaw in Microsoft's OS's, you'll have problems. Probably a good portion of Microsoft employees are the ones that let the problems out in the first place.

I recently read an article about how a college professor had his 20 students study the Linux Kernel.. I can say it was a recent version but I don't know what version they were using.. anyhow.. within 1 week 32 major flaws were found.

Now.. I don't know much about Linux but I know it's nice to use for a lot of things and it's popularity is growing.

This is a really stupid question and I honestly haven't taken the time to research it..

When a major bug/issue/etc comes up with Linux, who fixes it?

For example.. Microsoft *attempts* to fix their problems.. I'd feel safe saying 90% of Microsoft's problems wouldn't be problems if people would just update their systems, especially in corporate networks.. another story though.

With so many flavors of Linux out there... who fixes what? That's the biggest problem with Linux.. What version to use..

I honestly need to get a little more indepth into understanding the concepts of Linux but it seems like there are too many versions out there to bother.. Just my opinion..

Feel free to call me an idiot.. I admit, I understand the concept on Linux but can't readily see it as being a feasible solution to everyone's complaining about Microsoft.

Just my 2 cents for microsoft..free for linux.

Riser

RichPLS

Champion
Do you ever feel like you might be all alone with SP2 problems? :)

If you rolled back to SP1 and all the problems are gone, count yourself as fortunate! You are one of the rare ones.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
To jihiggs, How do you like the MSI K8n neo 2 plat. Motherboard. I am getting ready to put another system together with it. Thanks bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

dhlucke

Polypheme
No problems

A64 3200+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25
Ati x700Pro/x800xl
2000JB, 1200JB, 74GB Raptor
2005fpw

XP2400+
K7S5A
512MB Crucial PC2100
R9600np
2000JB, 1200JB
19" non-trinitron

<i><b><font color=red>"I think I'd rather let the monkey have its way with me" - Ksoth</font color=red></b></i>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I recently read an article about how a college professor had his 20 students study the Linux Kernel.. I can say it was a recent version but I don't know what version they were using.. anyhow.. within 1 week 32 major flaws were found.

Now.. I don't know much about Linux but I know it's nice to use for a lot of things and it's popularity is growing.

No matter what OS there will always be problems. The advent of linux has only pushed MS to write better code. Competition between the two OSes is only good for us consumers! MS creates a great OS like the different linux ditros and Apple. I personally really like the Apple OS which is based on BSD.

Do you ever feel like you might be all alone with SP2 problems? :)

No, do you really think thats the case, SP2 is not the end of XP just like SP2 was not the end of Win2K, if that was the case SP1 would have done it all but it didn't, Microsoft will eventually get all the bugs out of the WinXP OP/SYS hopefully, Microsofts past track record should have at least taught you that, and if they don't resolve all the issues, they'll surely throw you another bone to play with in the form of Longhorn.

Microsoft just loves to toss you something new to play with especially when they've come up with a lame duck, like say Windows Millenium, now there was a Microsoft crowning accomplishment! ROFL

Just because SP2 seemingly is working great, doesn't mean problems aren't going to arise, some of the same people that boast how great SP2 is are in other sections posting "help guys my so and so isn't working". ROFLMAO DUH! But doesn't even relate that to the fact there was no problem until he installed SP2.

I dual boot so I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on my PC gaming drive, but nothing else is on the drive but my online games, and so far there has been no problems with that drive, but thats not the first install of XPs SP2. Most out and out failures seem to be from installing on already running for awhile systems, but most all of the install from scratch installations are OK.

My biggest problem is not my PC its my laptop, they come out with a BIOS flash to resolve one issue and create another problem with something else, the first problem is resolved but the second is created by the fix, so blame the Laptop manufacturer dude! I do,! but my point is simply that Microsoft has to design an OP/SYS that can be used with all existing types of hardware, its not like they weren't aware this hardware existed, so why can't they cover all the angles, I mean thats what its supposed to be isn't it? An Operating System.

No offence but I'm getting sick of hearing everyone complain about Microsoft products, mainly the OS.

Everyone is not complaining, just those of us that have had, and are having problems, that just want to use the OP/SYS we've paid our money for, without spending hours on end downloading and applying patches to it just to get it to work.

Yeah yeah they have problems like everything else. Games that come out have problems, blah blah blah.
When you have 99% of hackers trying to find some flaw in Microsoft's OS's, you'll have problems. Probably a good portion of Microsoft employees are the ones that let the problems out in the first place.

If everyone took your attitude this wouldn't be a help site just a bitch session, this is an opportunity to see what hardware may be causing these problems, and what hardware is not, it could be as simple as changing a M/B to resolve the issues, and I'm not ruling that out as an option if necessary. Or it could be driver related and the problems be on the software end of things, I don't know about you but when I pay for something I expect it to work, do you expect to download a patch, BIOS flash, or Update to be able to drive your car to the store? I don't think so, so why do we tend to settle for less in an Operating System for our computers, and be thankful for the crap they give us. Wake Up Dude! Microsoft has been taking a dump on us for a long time, and you're thankful for it, thats pitiful!

Feel free to call me an idiot.. I admit, I understand the concept on Linux but can't readily see it as being a feasible solution to everyone's complaining about Microsoft.

Sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut then everyone else doesn't find out what you don't know.