Firefox 4 B4 Bringing Direct2D GPU Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
The Mozilla developers need to stick to using open standards for hardware acceleration instead of using MS's proprietary Direct2D GPU acceleration.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
FF4 B5 is out, and this was around in FF4 B1 I believe.
It does cause some issues. Screen tearing does seem to occur a lot. Happens mostly when using the scroll wheel with flash. Getting better with each beta it seems however.

Bit slow on the take here Toms?

I leave fraps on generally, and it's kinda neat seeing a FPS counter in the top right corner.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]FF4 B5 is out, and this was around in FF4 B1 I believe.It does cause some issues. Screen tearing does seem to occur a lot. Happens mostly when using the scroll wheel with flash. Getting better with each beta it seems however.Bit slow on the take here Toms?I leave fraps on generally, and it's kinda neat seeing a FPS counter in the top right corner.[/citation]
beta 4 and 5 are only available via FTP sever but not yet for general release so their timing is fine

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]JE_D[/nom]beta 4 and 5 are only available via FTP sever but not yet for general release so their timing is fine[/citation]
nightly.mozilla.org I think beta 4 has been around for 10 days now, maybe more. What's this general release thing you talk about?
:)

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]How 'bout using openGL/openCL, so other OS's can use it ?[/citation]
Sorry I accidentally quoted you I meant to quote Travis Beane

G

I remember somewhere the FF team saying that the differences between using opengl and direct2d for this purpose was so large that they are going through the effort to implement direct2d on windows as well as opengl on other platforms (eventually).

leafblower29

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]How 'bout using openGL/openCL, so other OS's can use it ?[/citation]

It probably will be because Firefox is on Mac and Linux.

G

The Firefox devs are working on D2D for Win7/Vista, on D3D9 support for WinXP and OpenGL for Linux and OSX.

For the time being D2D seems to have priority but you can bet that they'll be working hard on OpenGL because they need it for Firefox Mobile on smartphones.

I guess that D2D will be ready by the time FF4 is released but I can't even guess if the same is true for OpenGL and D3D9. You might have to wait for the next version before that is available.

Firefox 4 release schedule can be found here.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4/Beta

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]Am I stupid for asking WHY my browser needs to be GPU Accelerated?[/citation]
Little thing called multimedia. Its been around for a decade or three and is growing more demanding in web browsers.

But thats just a little guess of mine.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]buckinbottoms[/nom]Little thing called multimedia. Its been around for a decade or three and is growing more demanding in web browsers.But thats just a little guess of mine.[/citation]
I guess Im too good a PC building for that to be a problem.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Since when does your computer building have anything to do with how someone else coded a certain software platform on the web...

Status
Not open for further replies.