staple

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2001
I was wansdering if anyone new what the technical reason is for most usb scanners not working on Windows 95B. Is there really a big difference between the USB Support? Or does it have to do with twain or some other obscure reason? Thanks for the info folks!

G

There is a HUGE difference in USB support. Here is microsoft's explanation - http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/busbios/usbwin98.htm

The quick version of the article goes like this:
The core USB drivers used by Windows (and most drivers for specific devices) are WDM (Win32 Driver Model) based. Win95 OSR2.1 included version 0.9 of WDM. In other words an unfinished, beta version. Microsoft strongly discourages IHVs (Independent or Individual Hardware Vendors) from releasing versions of their drivers for Win95 because of known bugs and incompatibilites in that version of WDM which Microsoft has no intention of fixing because Win95 is obsolete.

You may have heard in the news recently that Microsoft has decided against supporting USB2.0 in WindowsXP. My understanding is they are doing this for the same reason Win95 did not initially have USB support - there are virtually no USB2.0 complaint devices available for testing purposes.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, aparently M$ is doing away with MP3 support too. I read on the register that all MP3's played on media player sound like CRAP and 3rd party MP3 players don't work right. I hate M$. Instead, they've decided to make WMA files run smooth. Who the hell are they to dictate what files i can and cannot run?

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, MS sucks for that. I am hoping they decide to junk that idea and let MP3's work on their final release of Windows XP. That coupled with their new idea for licensing is going to make MS go down the toilet.