How to upgrade a manufacture-made PC?

westgates

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Can someone please tell me how to upgrade a computer without buying another OS?

I have an old Micron PC running Windows 2000. I want to upgrade it with new motherboard/CPU, memory... but use the same OS win 2k. However, the recovery CD (containing Windows 2000) will check the computer when I install Windows 2000. If the computer is not a Micron PC, it won't allow me to install it. I don't know where the manufacture information is stored (motherboard or harddrive?).

I have not upgraded the computer yet. I want to make sure that I can do it before buying the components.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
So, it looks like your Micron-proprietary CD is obsolete. The CD may not fit to any other model (even from Micron) except the model that came with the CD.

RichPLS

Champion
Usually, manufacture version os's work with all thier products.
I hvae a couple of older Micron Workstations that came with Win 2000 and those disks did not have that feature. It was just a plain jane oem 2000 disk.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

westgates

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
The recorvery CD I got doesn't say anything but recovery CD. I think I bought this Micron PC in 2000. I just bought a laptop from Dell a few months ago. When the laptop came in, it has a lot of junks in it. So I thought I will just switch OS and do a clean install with the win2k but it won't let me to.

That info is stored in the DMI area of the BIOS.

It is possible to edit that info to change the manufacturer string to whatever the restore CD requires... you need to find a DMI editor. I would suggest getting it off the old mobo first, that way you can enter it in exactly the way it is on the Micron mobo.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the problem is microns software is running when you boot from the cd. you could probly just find the folder that has the origional 2k install files and put that on a bootable cd.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

I just bought a laptop from Dell a few months ago. When the laptop came in, it has a lot of junks in it. So I thought I will just switch OS and do a clean install with the win2k but it won't let me to.

So the laptop you just bought a few months ago, has WinXP Home on it right? Just uninstall the garbage programs you don't want, delete the unwanted shortcuts on the desktop, do a disk clean up and defrag the HDD.

westgates

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
That's what I did. I wiped out everything from the laptop and re-install XP from the dell recovery CD. Things are fine.

I still want to upgrade the old Micron PC though:)