SCSI / IDE compatibility

G

As many people may now know, I recently bought an A7V133 mobo with which I had some trouble.

I also have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller.

Now, my pb is the following : when I try transfering files from an SCSI drive to an IDE one, it crashed the comp. The things also happened from // (ZIP) to IDE HD.

Someoone's got an idea ?

zentrad

G

Windows 98 SE

Never happened with my old Asus P3BF (got an Asus A7V133 now)

Thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Is this a fresh install? Or did you just transfer your hard drives over from your P3? Also, what exactly is crashing, explorer? Or are you getting a blue screen?

G

It is a fresh install. I fact, it's been doing this since I change my mobo.
When I try a transfer, W98 would just hang on (nothing reacts : mouse, keyboard, HD, everything is stuck)

G

OK, I see.
What I don't understand is, though many components in the computer share the same IRQ, no conflict is reported by the system. This I don't understand...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
This has to do with the ACPI subsystem (although I'm not sure how reliable it is in Win98) - you can usually disable ACPI through your BIOS, then reboot and your machine should now redistribute IRQ's. Again, I forget the level of ACPI support under 98 but do check whether it is enabled in your BIOS.

PS - some MB's may not let you disable ACPI without some tweaking.

G

Although I've read things concerning this point, what is ACPI ?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
It stand for Advanced Control & Power Interface, and basically it allows the PC to (among other things) shut down via a software command, wake-on-modem, wake-on-lan, etc. It also includes the ability (I'm admittedly not an expert on this, so don't shoot the messenger) to share IRQ's on the PCI bus, if the OS is able. I know for sure that W2K can handle this aspect.

So much for my hamfisted explanation.

G

Win2k handles ACPI 10 times better. Upgrade to win2k if you can or do what the other guy says and disable ACPI. If you still have IRQ conflicts disable your serial ports to free up some IRQ's.

<A HREF="mailto:ddavis@4usgeeks.com">ddavis@4usgeeks.com</A>