Solved

GFWL not working

Whenever I try to play any game that requires Games for Windows Live, the game won't start. For instance, Lost Planet 2 will open and ask whether or not I want to play the direct 9 or 11 version, then disappears and nothing happen. I check the event log and it gave this execption info. It labels the error .NET runtime error, which is weird because I have already redownloaded .NET and GFWL. Does anyone know what is happening?

Application: GFWLClient.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.EntryPointNotFoundException
Stack:
at Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at Microsoft.GamesForWindows.LiveClient.App.Main()
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gfwl working
  1. I updated the framework, and reinstalled GFWL. Even running with administrative privileges, the same event occurred. I checked the logs and they gave me the same error.
  2. all of them errors tie into gfwl or .net framework...
    i know the games work on my setup which runs win7 64bit.
    so i guess its something that both them apps need to work..
    your sure theres nothing else in the event logs that pertains to the game shutting down?.
    you have all the vcredist files? your windows is fully up to date?
    you have any more .net frameworks installed? like 1.1 2.3.or 4.5?

what spec are you running? motherboard/cpu/ram/gfx and hdd config. and os.
  3. Windows is up to date. For the .NET framework I have versions 2.0.50727, 3, 3.5, and 4. I think that I have all the vcredist files, when I search my machine, it finds a ton of them.

System specs
    Win 7 64bit
    i7 950
    EVGA sli 470s
    Asus rampage iii formula
    1tb WD Caviar black
  4. Best answer
    nice system... well im honestly stuck m8. all i can recomend now is that you go to the games for windows support and ask there. sry!.
  5. Thank you and you didn't have to apologize.
  6. Best answer selected by demonicrotato.
  7. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/111075-25-games-stop-working-crash-desktop this guy seemed to have a similar problem to what you describe.

have you checked your thermal paste, that turned out to be his problem.
  8. I recently applied thermal paste and temps are within an acceptable range. My games that don't require GFWL work.
  9. well from what i can find the problem does reside with your .netframework, it may be that because you have more than 1 version installed your getting a conflict. so uninstall them all via add and remove windows installed updates.
    then 1s you got rid of them all reboot windows and run windows update.
    it should now install .netframework 4.5 this version contains all the routines of the previous versions. 1s its installed run update again to get its update if there is 1

note it does need the microsoft wat installed or the framework wont install properly
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Windows Live Video Games