Tomshardware vs. AnandTech VIA KT266

G

Regarding the retesting of the VIA KT266 chipset done by both tomshardware and anandtech, why were there such different answers? Anandtech came to the conclusion that the KT266 was a 20% improvement over PC133 ram using DDR but Tomshardware says that the KT266 is slower than AMD760's 10% gain over the PC133 ram. I know that Anandtech still reccomends the AMD760 because of stability problems... but why did the two tests yield such different results? Who is right?

G

I do believe (and I may be wrong here) that Tom's review did not make the switch of the R127/R126 resistor on the MSI board. His second review merely utilized the revised bios. Over at anand's they actually busted out the soldering iron and moved the resistor. This method combined with the BIOS upgrade created a considerable jump in terms of memory bandwidth, but created a severe stability problem.

MSI has stated that the resistor in position R127 is the correct board and that a new BIOS release is estimated at 3 weeks. I am eagerly awaiting this release to see if in fact this whole mess is a BIOS issue.

G

Toms board was the correct (new) board with the resistor on the R126 spot just as Anandtech quoted MSI
"I can't make sure you are using the right Board. (there should be no component on R127."
so both toms and anand had the resistor in the R126 spot.. the new board according to MSI

G

There boards were different aside of the R126. Anand used a board NOT sent by MSI. The review boards and productions boards were different. The production board with the MOVED R126 resistor was faster than 760 in general. There is hope.

Skull

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
MSI last statement has said that the board with the resistor at R127 is the production motherboard and in the future they might switch the resistor(R127) to the (R126)spot....Hey! people this tell me that MSI screwed up with
their first K7t266 motherboard and are trying to cover it up(no recalls). Bad testing results, Bad BIOS, BAD motherboard= Bad motherboard company(MSI)
It is bad that a motherboard company sends tester moterboards that are not production models.

Skull

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
I don't need a lawyer, I need a motherboard doctor, sense
hospital MSI, will not take my sick an hurt K7T266 Pro-R,
and patch him back to fitness.

G

I demand an R126 board. Or atleast a resistor in the mail.

If that is the board that is supposed to be reviewed by Anand and Toms then that is the board that I should own. Right?

What is really pathetic is that Tom still said the board sucked. And they reviewed a modified board. I would like to read a review of an unmodified board. Can they do that here? Can someone give them a board to review please?