Recommendations for high gain antenna for Linksys Router?

My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
(hardwired).

Should we try a Linksys Range Extender which I read is hard to
configure and perhaps there are better solutions...

There is no where to put another accesspoint since no where else to
run wires without screwing up drywall and such. No attic or
crawlspace.

****Do High Gain Antenna's from Linksys or Hwking (as ofund in
CompUSA) work?

*****This guy also could hook up a DLINK router or Netgear (he bought
everything which he will return unneeded items after a successful
configuration).......any benefit there?

Thanks, Patty

"Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
> laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
> Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
> (hardwired).
>
> Should we try a Linksys Range Extender which I read is hard to
> configure and perhaps there are better solutions...
>
> There is no where to put another accesspoint since no where else to
> run wires without screwing up drywall and such. No attic or
> crawlspace.
>
> ****Do High Gain Antenna's from Linksys or Hwking (as ofund in
> CompUSA) work?

A higher gain antenna (the linksys are 7dbi) will make the signal
stronger.
and also increases the received signal sensitivity.
The only way to tell really is to try it and see.
I have read comments that the higher gain linsky didnt help certain
people, but each situation is different.
Antenna orientation helps also, Mine point straight down cause I found
I get better coverage in
the basement. In laptops without antennas in the video lid its
sometimes better to place the antennas horizontally.

The range extenders work although they will cut the throughput about
50% and are really not that difficult to config.

Other options are to get a USB type adapter like a linksys wusb54gs
to use on his laptop in the garage

> *****This guy also could hook up a DLINK router or Netgear (he
bought
> everything which he will return unneeded items after a successful
> configuration).......any benefit there?
>

> Thanks, Patty

Thanks.
Would it ever be prudent to put a high gain antenna like the
Hawkingtech.com ones on a PCI card (if it is possible) or on a USB
adapter????

Thanks
Patty

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message news:<41ac6baa$1$799$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com>...
> "Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
> > laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
> > Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
> > (hardwired).
> >
> > Should we try a Linksys Range Extender which I read is hard to
> > configure and perhaps there are better solutions...
> >
> > There is no where to put another accesspoint since no where else to
> > run wires without screwing up drywall and such. No attic or
> > crawlspace.
> >
> > ****Do High Gain Antenna's from Linksys or Hwking (as ofund in
> > CompUSA) work?
>
> A higher gain antenna (the linksys are 7dbi) will make the signal
> stronger.
> and also increases the received signal sensitivity.
> The only way to tell really is to try it and see.
> I have read comments that the higher gain linsky didnt help certain
> people, but each situation is different.
> Antenna orientation helps also, Mine point straight down cause I found
> I get better coverage in
> the basement. In laptops without antennas in the video lid its
> sometimes better to place the antennas horizontally.
>
> The range extenders work although they will cut the throughput about
> 50% and are really not that difficult to config.
>
> Other options are to get a USB type adapter like a linksys wusb54gs
> to use on his laptop in the garage
>

> > *****This guy also could hook up a DLINK router or Netgear (he
> bought
> > everything which he will return unneeded items after a successful
> > configuration).......any benefit there?
> >

> > Thanks, Patty

I put one of those (badly overpriced) 7dbi antennaes on one box and got
about 10% better signal strength. The improvement was marginal, but enough
to make a difference as the box is at the fringe of my network. In some
cases it helps, but if you are too far away from the AP, it won't be enough
to help.

> Thanks.
> Would it ever be prudent to put a high gain antenna like the
> Hawkingtech.com ones on a PCI card (if it is possible) or on a USB
> adapter????
>
> Thanks
> Patty
>
> "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
>> "Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
>> > laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
>> > Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
>> > (hardwired).
>> >
>> > Should we try a Linksys Range Extender which I read is hard to
>> > configure and perhaps there are better solutions...
>> >
>> > There is no where to put another accesspoint since no where else to
>> > run wires without screwing up drywall and such. No attic or
>> > crawlspace.
>> >
>> > ****Do High Gain Antenna's from Linksys or Hwking (as ofund in
>> > CompUSA) work?
>>
>> A higher gain antenna (the linksys are 7dbi) will make the signal
>> stronger.
>> and also increases the received signal sensitivity.
>> The only way to tell really is to try it and see.
>> I have read comments that the higher gain linsky didnt help certain
>> people, but each situation is different.
>> Antenna orientation helps also, Mine point straight down cause I found
>> I get better coverage in
>> the basement. In laptops without antennas in the video lid its
>> sometimes better to place the antennas horizontally.
>>
>> The range extenders work although they will cut the throughput about
>> 50% and are really not that difficult to config.
>>
>> Other options are to get a USB type adapter like a linksys wusb54gs
>> to use on his laptop in the garage
>>

>> > *****This guy also could hook up a DLINK router or Netgear (he
>> bought
>> > everything which he will return unneeded items after a successful
>> > configuration).......any benefit there?
>> >

>> > Thanks, Patty

Patty Amas <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
> laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
> Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
> (hardwired).

The radiation pattern from a standard rubber-ducky antenna is like a donut.
The antenna should be pointed so that it is broadside to the intended
target. There would be some tilt needed to shoot downstairs.

You can also add free reflectors to the Access Point which can give 10dBi
or more gain. If the laptop works at all in the present case, a reflector
should make it work quite well.

http://www.freeantennas.com The EZ-10 takes a few minutes to make with a
piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. My rendition may be too wrinkly, and
should be smoother, maybe made from a flat sheet of metal instead. My
setup was better with two reflectors. One reflector and one bare antenna
caused some "toggling" between the antennas.

< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

In my case, my living room couch location would connect and disconnect.
With the reflectors added, the living room and dining room beyond have
solid connections.

---

Great info. I picked up a Hawking booster that was semi directional.
Will try it out. ALso a Wifi detector from them as well--at CompUSA

Thanks
Patty

dold@XReXXRecom.usenet.us.com wrote in message news:<coicec$qvh$1@blue.rahul.net>...
> Patty Amas <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his
> > laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable.
> > Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop
> > (hardwired).
>
> The radiation pattern from a standard rubber-ducky antenna is like a donut.
> The antenna should be pointed so that it is broadside to the intended
> target. There would be some tilt needed to shoot downstairs.
>
> You can also add free reflectors to the Access Point which can give 10dBi
> or more gain. If the laptop works at all in the present case, a reflector
> should make it work quite well.
>
> http://www.freeantennas.com The EZ-10 takes a few minutes to make with a
> piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. My rendition may be too wrinkly, and
> should be smoother, maybe made from a flat sheet of metal instead. My
> setup was better with two reflectors. One reflector and one bare antenna
> caused some "toggling" between the antennas.
>
> < http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >
>
> In my case, my living room couch location would connect and disconnect.
> With the reflectors added, the living room and dining room beyond have
> solid connections.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

Take a look at my posting on alt.internet.wireless earlier today
regarding the Hawking corner antenna and the Linksys WRE54G Expander.
The only way I increased the range more than a couple of feet with the
Hawking antenna was when I wrapped it in aluminum foil. However, when
I added the Linksys expander to my wireless system, it really did the
job. Where before I received virtually no signal with my laptop on the
breakfast table, the signal strength now ranges from good to very good
according to the icon on my laptop system tray.

I have asked Linksys whether a Linksys expander could amplify the
signal from another Linksys expander rather than from just a wireless
router. Am still waiting to hear from Linksys.

John