I know there have been a lot of posts regarding the A7M266, but I'd like to know if it is a case of Intel/AMD wars.

Is the A7M266 a good mobo, and would it be a good choice for a system with the specs:

Athlon 1GHz
2 x 256Mb PC2100 DDR
ATI Radeon 64Mb DDR
etc.

I don't know much about PC1600 & 2100 or DDR, so if any parts are incompatible, shout out.

Cheers!

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think it is like the AMD/INEL wars. I don't see a performance benefit from DDR that justifies any extra expense. I think Tom said it well in his article. If the price drops to the same as non-DDR, go for it, otherwise, I would like some proof that it would make a difference before I would spend the extra money.

To quote Macbeth:
It is a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PC-1600 is crap. crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap... crap!!! It aint worth it considering that PC-150 probably out perform it. As for PC-2100 I agree with ravenprime

Your Signature Sucks

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i plan on going to ddr soon, however, i am going to let the kt266 mature a bit. via has had a bad reputation in the past but i think they did a good job with the kt133/kt133a and i think in the end the kt266 will be a success when all of the wrinkles are ironed out. i assume the faster amd cpu's will use a ddr platform and that is where the performance difference will show itself. the 1.33ghz t-bird seems to get a bigger boost from ddr than say a 1ghz (if i remember the reviews correctly). basically, the faster the chip runs, the bigger the benefit from a higher memory bandwidth. when it's time to retire my 900@1050mhz t-bird for something faster, the prices and performance of the kt266 should be better and that's when i will make the switch.