If I were to put together a system entirely for gaming, would the BX still be the best chipset.
I realise it is still popular, which sort of speaks for itself, but have the years caught up with it or not?

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

not yet , it is still the fastest chipset available.10-15% faster than I815 and 20-30% faster tha VIA chipsets in memory benchmarks.The abit and asus boards run flawlessly at 133fsb . The only problem is that the AGP will run at 89mhz@133fsb. The Geforce 2 GTS can handle this , no problem.

I aint signing nothing!!!

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Rick

I'd have to call you on your BX performance specifications, our tests show that the I815E is faster than the 440BX and it runs significantly cooler. While we still love the 440BX chipset, there are many advantages to owning the 815E chipset (finally), including standard 133MHz FSB (versus 100MHz with the 440BX), on-board ATA-100 and AGP4xPro support, the ability to Overclock to at least 150MHz without dramatically overclocking the AGP (which can cause problems with many video cards including many brands of the GeForce 2 GTS by the way).

Additionally, USB support & features for the I815E is much better than what is offered on the 440BX systems with most 815E based systems coming standard with onboard hubs and at least 4 ports. What's more the 815 chipset-based boards typically have better wake-on-ring and wake-on-LAN and power management features.

With the 815E based boards having been in the channel since around November, we have also finally seen enough hardware and BIOS revisions (not to mention driver updates) to make the boards from most manufacturers very stable.

In our opinion the I815E is finally the first viable replacement for the very well designed 440BX chipset. It's about time too; it's only been like what? 7 Years?

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is the I 815e the one that is going to support the tulatin processor? I seem to have to many numbers floating around in my head right now.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
The current i815 chipset/mobos won't work with Tualatin. Tualatin will require a new version of the i815 ("B-Stepping") and a newly designed mobo.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seems like this might be the better route, any ideas as to release date and cross-compatability? The chipset should essiantly be the same ( ie drivers et all) so stabilty should not be in question

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.tigedirect.com" target="_new">http://www.tigedirect.com</A> A base sytem with integrated Live Platimum, remote, BX chipset, 9 bay case, and FM Tuner for $149.

Suicide is painless...........

Steve you should know if anyone does. The performance numbers i stated came from Toms hardware shortly after the I815 came out.So i guess with a new revision and better drivers it can now beat the BX. But from personal experience and lots of benchmarking I have to stand behind my VIA scores. I made the mistake of replaceing my P2B with a P3V4X.
Allmost forgot to say welcome back, haven't seen you here in a while.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 04/20/01 11:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>