K7T Master-S DIMM slots

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Ok, from what I've read on various sites, the MSI's Master-S sounds like an awsome board, but I'm wondering why the reference board that Tom's Hardware shows in "Tom's Power Box" has 4 DDR DIMM slots, when MSI's web site only shows this board with 2... What's up with that? And where can I get a K7T Master-S with all 4 slots?

Jason
"A job done the wrong way, isn't worth doing."

G

I asked the same question and Booky replied with the following:

It only has 2 banks, the other 2 where removed due to some timeing problems.

So the official board is being made with only 2 slots.

G

There are two versions of this board, the version 1.0 had 4 DIMM slots, but only supported a 100MHz FSB.

Then there is the version 1.1 of the board, which supports 133MHz FSB, but only has 2 DIMM slots.

It seems you just can't win...

As for where to get it, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I have seen the K7 Master though, just not the -S with the SCSI controller built-in.

Wayne

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Furthermore, the AMD760 chipset (in either its pure or bastardized version) can only support 2 Unbuffered DIMMs. So even if you found a 4-DIMM board, you would have to use all* Registered DIMMs (scarce and expensive) in order to populate more than 2 DIMM slots!

* you can not 'mix and match' Unbuffered and Registered DIMMs on the same board.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Ok, here's my $.02... DDR (especially KT266) is still in its infancy and needs a few months to stabilize. AMD760 and ALiMAGiK having been out for a while may be more mature, but I think that KT266 will be the way to go as more time passes. Right now, I think viahardware.com summed it up best today, saying...

<i>"From talking with many motherboard manufacturers, it is very clear that <b>a "good" KT266 board</b> is going to take some time. I think it is pretty clear that MSI rushed this board, to be the first to the market."</i>

IMHO, mid-summer should present a better buying timeframe. By then, KT266 boards should be improved. Also, the Palomino should be here by then - it's new features optimize it (better than the T-bird) for DDR and as a bonus, it will even run cooler!

G

There is one version. The 4 DIMM version is dead. The 2 DIMM, according to MSI, will never be produced. If it is produced, it will only be available in Tiawan. As insane as this sounds, this was the answer I was given by MSI Marketing California.

DieU
http://www.amdmb.com