Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Console ports to the PC that should be avoided - which ones?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 5, 2011 4:38:39 PM

As a console gamer who is going to PC gaming for the first time in a VERY, VERY long time, I'm trying to think of which games I should try out first with my new PC build. I am very interested in playing console ports, primarily because I want to see them running at a true 1080p resolution, with tons of visual effects and such. The thing is, I know that there are some really crappy console ports to the PC. Which ones should be totally avoided?

More about : console ports avoided

May 5, 2011 5:29:58 PM

I think F.E.A.R. 2 was a poor console port. I'm not particularly fond of any console port. The lack of (or minimal) key binding drives me nuts.
m
0
l
May 5, 2011 5:44:49 PM

AvP, the controls are hideous clunky from console porting. The game looks ok visually.

+1 to the FEAR 2 comment.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 5, 2011 11:27:40 PM

RE games are *** ports. avoid at all costs.

EDIT: Actually i'm familiar with 4 and 5 being bad ports, can't speak for earlier ones, i suppose.

EDIT 2: kane and lynch wasn't very good either. felt very stiff.
m
0
l
May 10, 2011 12:18:44 AM

internetlad said:
RE games are *** ports. avoid at all costs.

EDIT: Actually i'm familiar with 4 and 5 being bad ports, can't speak for earlier ones, i suppose.



Are you talking about Resident Evil?

I knew 5 came to the PC, but didn't know that 4 was on the PC. That's too bad about 5, because I've still never played the full game, and thought that it might be fun to try on the PC, if I could run it at a crazy high-resolution... It would just seem like a real step up from the console version.
m
0
l
May 19, 2011 10:24:58 AM

Most Console -> PC ports aren't brilliant.

The problem is that console series/games are much more limited with regards to hardware. Therefore the games are designed to fit consoles by being more streamlined, simplistic or generic, which to hardcore PC gamers is often a slap in the face.
m
0
l
May 19, 2011 8:36:42 PM

Nihilis said:
Most Console -> PC ports aren't brilliant.

The problem is that console series/games are much more limited with regards to hardware. Therefore the games are designed to fit consoles by being more streamlined, simplistic or generic, which to hardcore PC gamers is often a slap in the face.


actually i'm usually more insulted by the awful, disgusting control scheme, they'll map the K key to crouch or something weird like that.

Edit, plus the mouse control always feels off, like there's a barbell attached to my characters's hands, or you barely move it and they have a spasm and spin around three times.
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 9:35:57 AM

Avoid Alpha Protocol at all costs. It's basically unplayable with default settings. The only way to get it to work [in many, many cases] is to preload basically every texture, which makes loading a 2-3 minute affair (unacceptable when loading screens happen every 5-10 minutes.

AVOID!!!
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 10:28:13 AM

internetlad said:
actually i'm usually more insulted by the awful, disgusting control scheme, they'll map the K key to crouch or something weird like that.

Edit, plus the mouse control always feels off, like there's a barbell attached to my characters's hands, or you barely move it and they have a spasm and spin around three times.

Yes, I forgot about controls, but you're completely right as well :) 
m
0
l
May 20, 2011 8:09:43 PM

One port I DID like was Just Cause 2, the controls were fairly properly mapped (a couple of weirdos like C for scope) and once you set the sensitivity to what you want it's pretty smooth. The mouse was made for the grappling hook too. love me some diving off a cliff and hooking onto a chopper midair.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 8:23:01 PM

guitarjanitor said:
Avoid Alpha Protocol at all costs. It's basically unplayable with default settings. The only way to get it to work [in many, many cases] is to preload basically every texture, which makes loading a 2-3 minute affair (unacceptable when loading screens happen every 5-10 minutes.

AVOID!!!



i actually find the loading times and visuals on AP to be quite respectable and never noticed it as a console port but fear 2? fear 2's a sodding joke

i also agree with OC'd Toaster, i have a 1100t 6core specifically for shitting on friends x360/ps3's yet gta4 still doesnt run fluid, maybe its my hd4670 but i doubt it as it still far surpasses console hardware... my 16gb ram is just for shits n giggles thoughh
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 11:59:29 PM

It's old but:
The only port I've played (I think) was Final Fantasy 8, and it was good until the overworld where it glitch'd and crashed every 3-5 random battles. (or every 1)

They had good upgrades for it graphics wise (compared to original legoish style) but it has many bugs.
( there is a cheat that gets rid of random battles, but where is the leveling without random battles? You'd have to cheat for stats for boss battles, and just watch the story. )

unless someone has fix'd it since then
m
0
l
!