Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Anyone know any good or bad things about this chipset? For some reason I can't load Windows2000 or Linux and I am thinking this could be the reason. I can't find anything about the chipset from the mobo mfg. and I haven't seen it on many other boards.

Motherboard ::: Biostar M6TZA
Chipset ::: Intel 440ZX

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I checked the motherboard mfg. for a Bios upgrade but the details of the one and only flash that they have says nothing about anything I care about.

Thanks! *:O)

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

jrybon

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I am also having troubles. It accepted 2K, but not recognize the onboard video or audio hardware. I also found the Biostar website to be lacking. As a matter of fact, they claim it's a PII device, but mine is a Slot 1 PIII. Go figure. -John

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Intel Has some details about the chipset. A link to some IDE drivers but not a lot else though.

If you could list exactly what the problem you encounter is then someone might be of some more help :)

jrybon

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Win 2k does not recognize the on-board sound or video devices. Video defaults to a large, coarse standard that is incompatible with hardware installation software.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Since the Chipset does not (as far as my quick look earlier said) actually have either integrated graphics or Sound, these will be third-party chips, so you'd need to dowload the drivers for them from their respective manufacturers.

In fact, having just downloaded a copy of the manual.... The M6TZA doesn't have onboard video OR sound, so that might explain your problems.

You may have a board with the 440ZX chipset, but you don't have the board the Original poster does.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the ZX is a BX with an artificial limit of 512MB and something like 3 or 4 busmastering PCI slots. Intel wanted to offer a "cheaper" version of the BX for budget boards, so they just made a few modifications to make the ZX undesirable for the high-end (it still cost the same to make of course).

So now that you know the ZX IS a BX, so far as the OS is concerned, you need to find a different problem.