problem installing suse 9.2

spak_man

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Hi

I recently downloaded the SuSE mini Installer CD, burned it and tried to install SuSE.. the problem is that the drivers included on the CD dont include the propper driver for my network card, so I downloaded the drivers (a .tgz file) and now I need a way to get the installer to load those drivers, does anyone know how I can do that?

-spakman

---------------------------
Abit AV8
AMD Athlon64 3000+ s939
512meg 400mhz ddr Ram(2x256 dual Chanel)
MSI Geforce FX 5700 128

CopperLion

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
try to find an rpm for the drivers- that would be the easiest. At that point, you could use YaST to install. Otherwise, unpack the files- I would browse the filesystem to get to the tgz file, right-click and select actions->extract. Hopefully there is a readme file in there which will tell you where to put the files or how to proceed with installation.
At that point, you should use YaST to install the driver for your NIC under the YaST->Network Devices->Network Card.

If ignorance is bliss, education will blow your mind.

spak_man

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
the problem is, the Mini-Instalation only starts up the install then it gets the files it needs VIA FTP.. so I Cant install SuSE without the drivers :(

-Spakman

Abit AV8
AMD Athlon64 3000+ s939
512meg 400mhz ddr Ram(2x256 dual Chanel)
MSI Geforce FX 5700 128

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
open up a terminal, cd to the directory with the .tgz file

tar -zxvf <driver_file>.tgz

This will make a directory called <driver_file> where that is the the name of the driver...

cd <driver_file>

There should be both a README and an INSTALL file. Read both Try nano README or pico README... maybe vi README or emacs README to open up one of the text editor programs... if you don't have any of those (hard to believe), then type

cat README | less

scroll up and down to read, and then hit "q" to exit.

The install should probably go something like

./configure
make
make install

where the make install command is done as root (type su to do that).

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr