Brink...going to melt your rig?

Gumbercules

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
So I'm very much looking forward to Brink; it has [or seems to have] many of the positive attributes from some of my all-time favorite games (more specifically the Borderlands-ish look and armaments).

But I'm wondering...

Can anyone tell me why the recommended requirements for this [what I'm guessing is a ported] game are so very high?

Intel i5 / HD 5850...seriously?

This is higher than any other game I could find (Crysis [1&2], Starcraft2, GTA4) tell me why be this?

PS. I tried for the life of me to post this under "discussion" but that button no worky.

utter drivel, they have been ported from crappy consoles.
the real minimum will be a 3ghz dual core and 7800gt, 88gt, 250, 0r 450
recommended may well be higher but then you will get more than on console.
if we dont then its not a game worth buying as it will be a lazy port
coming on sites like toms gives you a false impression of what most gamers have. the vast majority dont have the newest hardware, most gamers i know still have dual or quad 775 boards running 88gt's or 4850's and some are still trying to play on even older hardware.

*update

Brink
System Requirements*
Intel Processor - Pentium Dual Core E5700 3GHz
AMD Processor - Phenom II X3 720
Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce GTS 450
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon HD 5750 1024MB
RAM (Memory) - 3 GB
Hard Disk Space - 8 GB
Direct X - 9

as i thought not very high at all.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

HEXit said it perfectly.

General Rule of Gaming:

If is on a console, there is a 99.999999999% the graphics will not be demanding. The exception being a crappy port coding job.

Gumbercules

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Thank you for your responses,

For the record; I got these specs from "Can You Run It" [http://svc.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/]...

As it turns out, these specs are (as I and others suspected) overkill...the game is a disappointment for campaigners as well, there is very little to offer the SPer.