help - mobo problem

G

I just got a new setup that I'm putting together, but I can't seem to get the thing to start up. When I plug it in and turn on the ATX ps, the power LED on the mobo lights up, but then no amount of fiddling with the power switch, reset switch, or any other switch I can find will get the system to start. The chipset fan and CPU fan never start running, and there is no indication of anything getting power other than the LED on the mobo.

I've stripped it down to just the following components:
- Asus A7V133 mobo
- Duron 800
- 256 MB Micron PC133 memory
- IBM 8.4GB HD (salvaged from old system)
- Asus V3800 TNT2 Ultra video card

I've tried removing all of these except the processor, and still no juice. I've checked the BIOS reset jumper, the case intrusion jumper, and the power switch itself, and everything looks as it should.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom that might send me down the right path.

G

My standard response to that situation is to check the voltage setting on the power supply. ~120V for the United States, ~240V for the rest of the world. If you've got it wrong, the mobo LED will still light, but that's about it.

G

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried several different things so far, and here are the results:

* removing the mobo from the case had no effect (no grounding problem)
* the power supply was set to the correct voltage

- here's the interesting one -

* when I hooked up the mobo to the power supply from my Dell PII-300, the power supply made a very high pitched noise (at first I just thought my ears were ringing). When I quickly unplugged the ps from the wall, the sound slowly died down after 15 seconds or so. I tried it a second time, and the sound stopped immediately if I unplugged the ps from the mobo after turning it off. Also, the mobo power LED never turned on with second ps. (The ps is only 230W, so it might have had issues there)

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I would try another 300W ps and if that didn't fix it, send the mobo back. It sounds like it's hosed up pretty bad.
Jason