Doom 4?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
ID software has confirmed that it is in the late-stages of development for Doom 4. How come nobody has heard much about this title? When is it's release date? 2012? What else is known about this title? All that I know is that it uses an improved version of the ID tech 5 engine, or the "rage" engine.

Can anyone link me to some useful information?

There are also rumors going around about a Quake 5.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hi Ambam,

I'm not sure where you heard that it was in its final stages but Rage is coming out soon. I doubt they had time to do Doom 4 while doing Rage.

Perhaps It's fairer to assume that they got their ID Tech 5 Engine almost ready to start working on all features that will be present in DOOM 4.

FYI: Doom 4 was announced about a year ago but they also said they would experiment with the engine while developping Rage so that when they developpe DOOM 4 they'll be knowing all the ins/outs of what they can achieve with the engine.

...if that makes any sense at all...

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Well, looking at these, it seems we're both victims of hearing gossip here and there (including those who've been adding entries in Wikipedia).

That said, I don't expect DOOM 4 to come out for at least another year (probably 2) as Rage is coming out. Also, if they have the same plans for Rage as they did for Fallout 3...there will be a million expansions before the IP progresses to Doom 4 and then Rage 2.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I remember how Doom 3 crippled all of the hardware which existed at the time. Just like Crysis did with 2007-era PC hardware.

Will Doom 4 do the same?

axelcyril

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
On August 1, 2008, John Carmack, the co-founder and abstruse administrator of ID Software said that Doom 4 will attending three times bigger than Rage does, as it runs at 30 frames-per-second, on Xbox 360 and Play Station 3, rather than 60 that Rage targets. In Windows, Doom 4 will run at 60 frames per additional with accompaniment of the art hardware. In 2009 he appear that the multi player basic is getting developed alone and will run at 60 frames-per-second.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Do you think it will exceed Crysis in terms of hardware-demand?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Doom 4 won't require a next-gen eight-core CPU along with multiple Radeon HD 7xxx or GTX 6xx's in CFX/SLI in order to playably run it at it's max settings?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Future PC games will inevitably far exceed the hardware demand of games like Crysis, Crysis 2, and Metro 2033. Doom 4 is probably a good candidate.

I wonder when I'll have to upgrade my two CFX HD 5870's in order to play newer games on their highest settings.

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Shoot, I have crossfired 6950's but have 3 28" monitors in Eyefinity. I already have to pare down settings for Crysis and Metro.

On a single screen I can run everything at the top, but not with 3.

Eyefinity is well worth the cost of the extra 2 monitors. it has opened a new world of game playing for me.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'll sum up various messages above. You don't need a new Crysis to beat your pc over benchmarks. Just get 3D-Vision and you'll start wondering where all your FPS went. As much as I think there's nothing better for an 3D immersive gaming experience, I can't help but wonder what kind' of GPU(s) I'll need to run upcoming-poor console ports on my 3D Vision at 1080p. I'm barely running recent games at 1080p with my 560 GTX (overclocked).

Literally drops your FPS by half. I guess it makes sense since it's rendering 2 frames on every frame projected to the monitor...FML.