Intel D850GB Installation Documentation

G

I'm thinking of building a Pentium 4 system and would prefer to use an Intel motherboard. I'm not interested in overclocking, just want something stable that's most likely to work with peripherals.

The only Intel board is the D850GB. They have documentation online -- at http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/gb/gb_prdoc.htm -- but it's quite skimpy. I've built computers before, but only a couple, it's been awhile, and I don't want to fry components by doing something wrong. I'm particularly unclear about internal fans that are needed, the special mounting of the heat-sink equipped processor and what apparently needs to be a modified ATX case, and the connection of the two 'extra' ATX power supply power connections.

It's frustrating, because Intel seems to be going out of its way not to provide through documentation to home builders. They've even disabled the forums on their web site.

Does anyone know of any web site, or book, or anything that can provide specific build-it information for this motherboard? I've got the 12th edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, but it's not much help on this. Thanks!

G

I'm building a PC this weekend consisting of:
Intel D850GB MoBo
Intel P4 1.4Ghz CPU w/256RAM
Enermax 350W Power Supply
Standard ATX Mid tower (P4 Ready)
CoolerMax Intake & Exhaust fans
ATI Radeon VE 32Mb
Soundblaster Live
Creative DVD player
Iomega ZipCD Burner
Maxtor ATA/100 40G Hard Drive

With that aside, From what I've seen on Intel's website it looks pretty straight forward, I read the MoBo's installation Online manual and can see pretty much what I'm up against. This will be my first assembly, I read all about the newer specifications on the D850GB's webpage and read through the FAQ's. To start off with, you need to make sure all your components are P4 compatible. Case, Pwr supply, AGP card-2.0 1.5V etc. Don't force anything and pretty much plug everything in. Fans & Pwr supply are all controlled from the Mobo's monitoring system! Be prepared to reinstall your OS if it doesn't recognize all the changes (Win2000 choose repair current OS) or win98 Me. Bios will need to be tweaked on first boot, but other than that I don't expect any problems. Wish me luck! E-mail me if you have any questions. -Lonnie

TRENDING THREADS