John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
why would people want to spend countless hours playing a game that can't be used online, and for the ones that are online demand even more of your time. i know people who played some 120hours on one of those final fantasy games!! It makes me wonder how long people play EQ for, probablyspend months in fornt of their comp screen, no joke! it's crazy! i don't see what's so fun about taking turns attacking each other (ie - i hit bad guy then its his turn to hit me) rpgs seem pointless and even more worthless. any thoughts?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
It's just not your cup of tea. I hate country music, I think it all sounds the same. Alot of people love that stuff but I'll never get it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I kinda agree.
Most of the time when I play RPG I play for the story line.
like Phantasy Star IV, Dragon Quest III, Final Fantasy VI
But for 'online RPG', I totally can't play it. Why?
because there is no story line, all you do is level up and
solve quests. and all of the online RPGs are QUESTS FOREVER.
another patch/extension pack released means biger world and
more quests. Can't there be someday that finally the evil
was destoried? Can this game come to an end?
not to mention online RPG just require time to level up.
no skills involved. why go online if there is no compitition.
Isn't fighting "real people" instead of stupid(or cheating)AI's
the main theme about Online Games?

Trix are <font color=red>NOT JUST</font color=red> for kids<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by silly_rabbit on 06/11/03 01:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
For the online RPGs, I think it is the social aspect. You meet alot of nice people. I play Asheron's Call( the first one) and it is a very involving story and the game changes and evolves, so it isnt static like EQ.

I also enjoy regular non-online RPGs too, like Baldurs Gate and Fallout.

Old country, like Hank Williams Sr. and older I like. This newer pop country is crap. It really isnt country.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Although I am kinda on the oppisite side of the fence from Prisoner here, because I play Everquest, I have to agree with what he said. Alot of the mmorpg experience is the social interaction. Especially after you join a decent guild and get a nice friends list going, it just feels good to log on and find 2 or 3 friends online to talk to. Another thing that makes them popular imho is the way you can get into your character. As the games are first person and include an entire world, it's really quite immersive, to the point where if you play alot you really start identifying with your toon. EQ though is definately not about the storyline. While there is a storyline, and if you research it it is actually very interesting, it's just not something you can find without going out of your way. But combat is still fun because of the strategy involved in getting 6 strangers together and creating a balenced group capable of working thier way through a dungeon, and working together without killing one another.

PS: In general Country sucks, however, I just love "Cry" by Faith Hill, it's just a really great song.

My Setup: POS Compaq 5330US
P4 1.7 Ghz
512MB SDRam
Geforce2 MX 400
Creative Soundblaster PCI512
80GB Hard Drive<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by EQPLayer on 06/11/03 05:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
I dunno man, i can somewhat relate to playin online with friends as i do while playing counter-strike. But still the ammount of time that is consummed by an mmorpg is beyond me. personally i'd rather have time to go out every night without worrying about leveling up and paying a monthly fee. In cs skill is a big factor but it doesn't require endless hours of play to get things rolling. i respect your chioce in gameplay though, "to each his own"

There is a good reason that these games do not 'come to an end'.

Think about it. You have a lot of power-gamers playing EverQuest. If you were actually able to get to an 'end-game' a lot of these players probably would have done it within a couple of months... so there would be nothing to keep them p(l)aying. It's not unusual for some of these people to be playing 20+ hours per week. If you create an ending, you write yourself into obsolescence. Not many people are going to continue to pay to play a game they've already finished.

In some ways, I like the idea of never actually finishing a game... I can still get to high-end content if I put enough effort into it, and I won't have to worry about finishing the game in a month or two (and subsequently get completely bored with it). On the other hand, I'm not fond of coughing up monthly fees... especially to SOE. They are teh suck.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I played Ultima Online from the time it started up until about 2 years ago. I was still enjoying it, but I sort of ran out of money (you know it's bad when you can't afford 10 bucks a month)

Kinda good I "quit" though, because I've heard from a lot of friends that the game went downhill pretty quick, pvp-wise anyway. Trammel can go to hell btw

It's all good ^_^

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
RPG's in general just arent games that can be played through quickly. They almost always require extensive character building/item collection before the game can be "beaten." MMORPG's take that to a whole other level.

I played Everquest for 4 years since it's release, and racked up 265 days of play time. That's two hundred and sixty five, 24 hour periods. But you know something, it was great. Alot of it is the community and friendships. Alot of it is dedication to the game. Towards the end, it becomes fear of leaving something behind. (Believe me, after 265 days, it's not easy to up and quit and leave behind a character whom you've spent all that time enhancing). This is what makes [good] MMO's so profitable.

There's really not a whole lot of difference between playing an RPG for a few hours a night, and playing something like CS or UT2K3 for those few hours.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I just bought a game called EVE that's already starting to devour most of my free time. It's like cocaine.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
i've often wondered how people can play a single game for years and years. some players may think thats normal, but not for me, the longest ive played a game for is about 5 months, and that game was Earth And Beyond. i just cant play a game for long without getting bored of it and no mater how much content a game has i would still get bored of it. The One thing i really miss is the social interaction, It was hard
to leave, its been alomost 3 months since i left my E&B guild, and i still miss it. i liked E&B casue it had a futuristic Space Theme, and it was easy to get into, Im not a fan of other MMO's that use a Medievil Fantasy world theme like EQ and AC. Im not a fan of RPG's in general, i think there boring. 80% of the games ive played have been FPS's.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
You should try EVE. It's really complicated, though, and right now it's buggy, since it's only been out a couple weeks. But it's totally open-ended...PC's control almost all aspects of the economy...

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
yea i beta tested Eve, didnt like it, thought the Control and interface were hard, if i have to spend alot time learning the interface and control, i dont want to play it, i like to jump right in, but thats just me im Lazy. I also beta tested planetside, Control was ok, the interface wasent as hard as EVE's, but for some reason i just didnt like it.

John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
yeah i played anarchy online and that other fps mmorpg (not planetside) just because 2 of my friends said it was an incredible game. I played anarchy online for about 20 mins before i deleted it off my comp and the same for the other mmorpg. It's a sad thing to see people actually selling items on ebay and what not, some got for hundreds of dollars! now thats crazy.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Baw haw haw I am still waiting for Ultima Underworld 3, the bastards stopped the best PRG series ever.

You know the problem with online games is my ISP gets the shits because I am still dialup and practically connected 24 hours. I get disconnect every 4 hours as usaul practice, but its cheap.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i have a friend who plays Anarchy Online.

he lives in it. he is not a human. he is an Atrox on the planet Rubi Ka. thats how addicted he is.

wats funny with that game is items that you find are worth like 300 bucks on ebay, depending of course on its usefullness. Dragon Armour? 350bucks just for the sleeves

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Why the hell do people play FPS? I don't get it. You just go around shooting people/things. It's stupid. And people who play FPS are stupid too.

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
Why do people always insist on insulting drug dealers by comparing them to Microsoft?
Drug dealers offer real products with real choice.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
What kind of games do you prefer?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Honestly, I like all types genres, including FPS (I'm currently enjoying America's Army).
I was just being sarcastic towards john_ryan07 and his stupid post.
BTW-my favorite games are the sexual ones with my girlfriend =)

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
Why do people always insist on insulting drug dealers by comparing them to Microsoft?
Drug dealers offer real products with real choice.