mysterious power off while installing

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
My wife totally messed up her laptop (emachines m5310) and I've been trying to figure out what she did to it. I thought I might have to re install windows because it couldn't find the os when it booted. Simple enough right? So I used my win xp disk to format he hard drive but while I was doing a fresh install the machine just shut down with no warning. I tried to install again several times with no luck.There's no set pattern, it just shuts down whenever it wants. After thinking on this for a while I assumed it was either bad sectors on the hard drive (more likely) or a problem with the battery. I ordered another of the same hard drive and proceeded to install when lo and behold it shut down on me again. By this time I was extremely frustrated but figured a new battery should solve the problem. Wrong. I still get random shut downs. At this point I don't have anything else to go on so I might just have to bite the bullet and call their tech support [/shudder]. I was hoping someone here might be able to suggest something.

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman.

RichPLS

Champion
You do not need to purchase a batter, just plug in laptop while installing, this is advised when installing and bios updating also.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Check in bios to see if sleep or hibernate mode is enabled, if it is, dis-able it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
run the install w/o the battery in the computer. If it still shuts off randomly it is most likely a heat issue. If the laptop was dropped or hit there might be a heatsink lose or a broken fan.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
It does the same thing with the power cord plugged in too. I have tried it without the battery to no avail. I think Folken might be right though I will look at the bios again just in case I missed something. I'll post back with my results. Thanks.

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Sorry it took me so long to post back. I checked the bios and it does not appear to be part of the problem. I wanted to open the thing up and have a look for that loose heatsink Folken but even with all the screws removed I still can't get the back plate off. I'm assuming that maybe there is a hidden screw somewhere because I can lift the front up and look inside(barely). I really need to get into this thing because she has an unlocked Barton which I've been dying to get my hands on (assuming it isn't fried yet) but I don't want to break it in case I'm able to fix it. Anyway, I'll post back if I have some luck. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Dylan