Help--Internet Connection Sharing

G

I'm new to win2k. Here's my setup: P2-400 is the host, running win2k with 192mb ram and 2 NICs--one to the 10BaseT(Full Duplex) dorm line and the other set to do 100baseT(Full Duplex) through a cat 5 crossover to my Tbird 950 win98 box which is running its NIC at 100baseT(full duplex) as well. It works just fine, but I can no longer access my "network neighborhood" through the win98 machine (well I can, but it just shows my win2k box, and I can't open it due to something like "no permission to access resource"). Also, I was hoping to set up a network drive on the win2k machine so I could transfer files back and forth easily, but I can't seem to do this. Anything I share on my win2k machine is put on the external network, and I can't connect to that through the win98 box. Right now I set up an FTP server to do some file swapping, which works, but is very slow and not as convenient as I had hoped. I don't have any other network protocols installed besides IP. Is there any way I can set these machines up so that both are on my dorm network with ICS, and so I can access the win2k shared stuff on the win98 box?

<font color=red>=P

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the sharing, did you enable any folders/drives in your w2k to share? You have to view the properties of the folders/drives to enable sharing.

Did you mean TCP/IP when you say "<i>I don't have any other network protocols installed besides IP.</i>"?

-------------
This site is cool.

G

yeah, tcp/ip. I'm gonna install IPX shortly. As far as enabling drives/shares, yeah, I could share a drive/folder and access it from another computer in my dorm, but not my win98 box.

<font color=red>=P

G

You need to use the windows logon to put in a user and password to access the win2k box. The login must be the same as one on the win2k machine.