AP in repeater mode..

My situation..

1 802.11g AP+ integrated hub (by Sparklan), both ethernet and wireless
clients are connected..

Another Ethernet only hub, with many clients. At the moment, I've bridged
the two lans with a 802.11g nic on a PC in the 2nd LAN. I'm using the
Windows XP bridging features, and they work fine, but I don't want to keep
the PC always on.

I've been thinking of adding a second AP to the Ethernet only hub, with a
cross cable. If I configure this new AP as a wireless client-AP repeater the
wireless clients and the ethernet clients on both segments will be able to
talk to themselves ? The configuration of the first AP (which has no
WDS/Wireless client capability) should not be touched at all..

"T. G." <tiberiox@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I've been thinking of adding a second AP to the Ethernet only hub,
> with a cross cable. If I configure this new AP as a wireless
> client-AP repeater the wireless clients and the ethernet clients
> on both segments will be able to talk to themselves ? The
> configuration of the first AP (which has no WDS/Wireless client
> capability) should not be touched at all..

If you add an access point which can be configured in Wireless Client
mode and which can handle multiple MAC addresses, then all clients on
both segments will be able to talk to each other.

You don't need Repeater mode, nor Bridge mode. The problem is that
the documentation usually doesn't say which devices can handle
multiple MAC addresses - they usually only refer to a single client
device.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

"Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "T. G." <tiberiox@hotmail.com> wrote in

> If you add an access point which can be configured in Wireless Client
> mode and which can handle multiple MAC addresses, then all clients on
> both segments will be able to talk to each other.
>
> You don't need Repeater mode, nor Bridge mode. The problem is that
> the documentation usually doesn't say which devices can handle
> multiple MAC addresses - they usually only refer to a single client
> device.

Mmm.. isn't repeater mode the same thing as wireless client mode ? Gee, I've
skimmed a few books but WDS isn't even mentioned..

"T. G." <tiberiox@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "T. G." <tiberiox@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > If you add an access point which can be configured in Wireless
Client
> > mode and which can handle multiple MAC addresses, then all clients
on
> > both segments will be able to talk to each other.
> >
> > You don't need Repeater mode, nor Bridge mode. The problem is that
> > the documentation usually doesn't say which devices can handle
> > multiple MAC addresses - they usually only refer to a single
client
> > device.
>
> Mmm.. isn't repeater mode the same thing as wireless client mode ?
Gee, I've
> skimmed a few books but WDS isn't even mentioned..

A repeater repeats the AP communications and wireless clients can talk
to the repeater.

An AP in wireless client mode will talk to the root AP but wireless
clients cant talk to the AP in wireless client mode.
If group 2 is not going to use any wireless devices then the AP in
client mode would allow them to communicate
with group 1 through the Client Mode to AP path.
As was mentioned, some APs in client mode will only bridge one MAC
address and only one computer can talk.
If you have group 2 on a router connected to the AP client then this
is not an issue.