Any way to extend range of internal wireless PCI card in PC?

I assume things like a Hawking antennas are normally placed on a
router.

Can they be connected to a remote Desktop PC as well? Example: One on
the wireless router and one on the wireless (remote - another part of
house) PC to gain maximum ability to pick up a signal? Or does it just
need to be on the router?

Are there any products without changing to USB (where you can put unit
on top of a table or move it around a little) to provide a better
signal off the PC Wireless PCI Card antenna (back of PC)?
Perhaps take that antenna off of PC and attach a cable that can extend
3 feet perhaps to an antenna type base on top of a table or
somewhere...I am sking if such a product exists or should I just go
USB to get antenna where it needs to be?

Thanks, Patty

You didnt say what kind of pc card, but linksys offers
an antenna stand with 6 foot cable...........
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=647
and the antenna
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=643

This is linksys specific though.
Each manufacturer has a differnet antenna connection (by fcc rules)
so you may have to buy a pigtail with the proper connections on both
ends.

"Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I assume things like a Hawking antennas are normally placed on a
> router.
>

> Can they be connected to a remote Desktop PC as well? Example: One
on
> the wireless router and one on the wireless (remote - another part
of
> house) PC to gain maximum ability to pick up a signal? Or does it
just
> need to be on the router?
>
> Are there any products without changing to USB (where you can put
unit
> on top of a table or move it around a little) to provide a better
> signal off the PC Wireless PCI Card antenna (back of PC)?
> Perhaps take that antenna off of PC and attach a cable that can
extend
> 3 feet perhaps to an antenna type base on top of a table or
> somewhere...I am sking if such a product exists or should I just go
> USB to get antenna where it needs to be?
>
> Thanks, Patty

Hi,

Netgear also has a card that clames an external antenna, the WAG311.
I am in the market for a PCI card myself but will probably go for the
less expensive WG311T, as I live in a small condo and don't need the
added range.

--Al

In article <e5e9337.0411300747.22e9bc9@posting.google.com>,
pattyjamas@hotmail.com says...