Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this computer play Left 4 dead and/or Killing Floor if...

Last response: in Video Games
May 8, 2011 12:43:25 PM

Okay, so I don't have a lot of money (I'm only 13) and I was thinking about buying this computer:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-DC7100-3.0Ghz-1...

All the specs seem fine (I have a 1TB external hard drive, so 40 gigs of HDD doesn't really matter,) except for the graphics card (and RAM, I'd upgrade that eventually to 2 or 3 gigs.) I think the graphics card is an Intel GMA 900, which from what I've heard is the crappiest graphics card one could have.
So I was thinking about buying this graphics card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

However I don't know whether the computer uses a regular PCI or PCI express, anyone know what it has? And would I even be able to install it on that computer? The main two games that I wanna play on it is Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Killing Floor, and probably Amnesia.
May 8, 2011 3:08:35 PM

Contact and ask them.
m
l
May 8, 2011 3:40:49 PM

Not very well even if you get that Gfx card, the Processor is old and outdated its a single core, the minmum nowadays is a Duel core but more reasonable is a Quad Core
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2011 3:43:41 PM

Okay I'll try and find a good dual-core one, the problem is is that I only got about $150 at my dispense and I really don't have any ways of making money besides birthdays.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 4:24:55 PM

that is a junk part rip off. you can get better for less. that setup should sell for no more than 50 pounds but that guy wants double that... stay clear.
if your in the uk a good second hand/refurbished local retailer like GHI computers.(im not recomending you buy anything there just an example)
they would sell you an almost identical piece of kit for 50-60 pounds. but even then your gonna be wasting your money as you want a gaming setup.
your gonna have to convince your dad to part with a minimum of £350 to get anything that will resemble entry level gaming.
if he wont spring for it then your looking at console gaming im afraid.
m
l
May 8, 2011 4:53:55 PM

HEXiT said:
that is a junk part rip off. you can get better for less. that setup should sell for no more than 50 pounds but that guy wants double that... stay clear.
if your in the uk a good second hand/refurbished etailer is GHI computers.
they would sell you an almost identical piece of kit for 50-60 pounds. but even then your gonna be wasting your money as you want a gaming setup.
your gonna have to convince your dad to part with a minimum of £350 to get anything that will resemble entry level gaming.
if he wont spring for it then your looking at console gaming im afraid.

Damn girl, 575 bucks?? Sounds... well yeah, expensive.
My parents won't even lend me 100 bucks, I guess I'll keep nagging them til' they break.

Okay I think I found a good one, I might settle with this, how's this pretty beast look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-II-240-2-8GHz-DUAL-CORE-...

Comes with AMD Althon II 2.8GHz dual-core, 4GB RAM, and 501GB HDD. I have the option to customize my own on Magic Micro, I don't know what specific graphics card I should choose if I should customize one (I don't know what graphics card the one on ebay comes with.) It's probably way cheaper just to buy it off ebay, I tried customizing my own on Magic Micro and the price ended up being about $550 (versus $400 on ebay.)

Anyways, whacha guys think about that one? (sorry I'm such a n00b when it comes to graphics cards.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 4:56:51 PM

girl? sorry m8 im a 40 year old MAN!!!...
m
l
May 8, 2011 4:58:18 PM

haha I know it's just something I say.
Girl I will cuuut you. :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 4:58:38 PM

cubasy said:
Damn girl, 575 bucks?? Sounds... well yeah, expensive.
My parents won't even lend me 100 bucks, I guess I'll keep nagging them til' they break.

Okay I think I found a good one, I might settle with this, how's this pretty beast look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-II-240-2-8GHz-DUAL-CORE-...

Comes with AMD Althon II 2.8GHz dual-core, 4GB RAM, and 501GB HDD. I have the option to customize my own on Magic Micro, I don't know what specific graphics card I should choose if I should customize one (I don't know what graphics card the one on ebay comes with.) It's probably way cheaper just to buy it off ebay, I tried customizing my own on Magic Micro and the price ended up being about $550 (versus $400 on ebay.)

Anyways, whacha guys think about that one? (sorry I'm such a n00b when it comes to graphics cards.)

that cpu is weak. look to spend about 600bux minimum
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 4:59:20 PM

gfx wise you want a minimum of a 98gt or 250gs
really you want to buy parts and build your own. for 600bux you will get 1.5 times the kit you would get if you bought it prebuilt.
and its not hard to build your own. my mum of 62 managed to build her own. took her half a day but loved it when it finaly turned on, went beep and asked for the o.s.
m
l
May 8, 2011 5:11:12 PM

HEXiT said:
that cpu is weak. look to spend about 600bux minimum

600 on the processor itself or the computer?? O.O
Nah, I know what you mean, 600 on the computer itself.
Okay I'll try and keep this thread short, what computer do you recommend, mah boi?
m
l
May 8, 2011 5:18:34 PM

Dang forums wouldn't let me edit my post for some reason so I had to rewrite the whole thing.

Anyways, I heard TigerDirect has good barebones kits. Now most likely there's probably compatibility issues with different computer parts (like for instance, I know you can't just stick in any old RAM chip in your computer, you have to find out what kind is compatible.) I'll save this thread from me posting 20 more posts asking about what different kinds of parts I should buy, you got any recommendations?

By the way, how hard would it be to piece everything together once I get all the parts? The only experience I have with opening up computers and taking out/putting in/replacing crap was when I changed my RAM chip. (Y'know, I could simply just go search up "how to build your own computer", but I'm too lazy right now...)
m
l

Best solution

May 8, 2011 5:20:31 PM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688...

This computer is Decent, the Gfx card isn't the best but you'll get a quad core processor running at 2.8ghz and then 4gb's of DDR3 ram running at 1333mhz, and 1tb Harddrive and a 5670
May 8, 2011 5:24:49 PM

Dude D: sounds beastly...
now to get my parents to give me $400...
m
l
May 8, 2011 7:09:41 PM

Start selling stuff on ebay.
m
l
May 8, 2011 7:11:38 PM

grimlan said:
Start selling stuff on ebay.

I don't have anything to sell though, that's the problem.
Probably the only thing I could sell is a bunch of books I had when I was a kid, I'd get like $20 off of that but that's it.
m
l
May 8, 2011 7:31:23 PM

Do work around the House? Maybe they'll start paying you?
m
l
May 9, 2011 2:13:24 PM

Considering that you're only going to be playing L4D1/2L4D2 and killing floor (not sure about the other game's specs) that computer would be ok to get it. Since ca$h is tight you may want to look on CraigsList for a cheap gfx, I ran those games on a 7800 GT which you can get for $50 or less. I do recommend that you stick with a dual core with over 2.4gighz.
If you want a better comp start mowing grass, selling lemonade, search the parking lot for loose change or wash cars. Even at 13 you can find work and not rely on charitable giving.
m
l
May 9, 2011 10:47:48 PM

jgiron said:
Considering that you're only going to be playing L4D1/2L4D2 and killing floor (not sure about the other game's specs) that computer would be ok to get it. Since ca$h is tight you may want to look on CraigsList for a cheap gfx, I ran those games on a 7800 GT which you can get for $50 or less. I do recommend that you stick with a dual core with over 2.4gighz.
If you want a better comp start mowing grass, selling lemonade, search the parking lot for loose change or wash cars. Even at 13 you can find work and not rely on charitable giving.

I might just stick with the one Mithness recommended, it's like 4x better, and I might end up buying other games as well that're more demanding (like Amnesia, it needs 2GB of RAM, so that'd be another $40 smack down on the table.) I'll probably do an extra amount of chores around the house every day for about 50 cents an hour, which means it'll only take me about 33 days worth of work, which I can cope with (opposed to waiting until christmas or my next birthday.)

Anyways, I like that lots of people are helping me out, thanks everyone. :) 
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:23:47 PM

13 years old and playing games for over 18.... :non: 
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:48:25 PM

damian86 said:
13 years old and playing games for over 18.... :non: 

Hahaha, I knew I'd get this comment sooner or later. I'm really mature for my age (besides making your mom jokes) so I can easily handle M-rated games. Plus, Left 4 Dead's only rated M just because of the blood and gore (I think I heard a few swear words in it, but I only heard damn.) I've played Doom 3 before without wincing at the gore once (well it doesn't have nearly as much gore as L4D,) Doom 2 skulltag (which I have) believe it or not has a lot of gore. Grab a rocket launcher and shoot zombies while their near a wall and you'll see a crapload of gore splatter against the wall. (there's also this one particular mod that I use, Brutaldoom, which is a mod that adds a lot of more blood and gore effects, heres an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLblQ7-ni0g )

Anyways, long story short, I'm mature enough for M games, even though my parents hate videogames with guns in them, I always win arguments with them.
m
l
May 11, 2011 2:54:21 AM

yeah im sure you do argue with them, lol.I think some videogames companies are off their nuts releasing such games..they even get banned in other countries.
Doom 2 was a classic, anything with wee ugly faces flying around you coming to kill you also remember the quake 2 in one of the scariest bits where you would approach somewhere with killing machines chopping peoples to bits..pure disgusting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-byGUGWWA&feature=rela... Pure tense.
I used to ply that one when I was 17 or so. but know videogames are so real that makes people sick. I keep playing Battlefield ones
m
l
May 11, 2011 3:05:37 AM

damian86 said:
yeah im sure you do argue with them, lol.I think some videogames companies are off their nuts releasing such games..they even get banned in other countries.
Doom 2 was a classic, anything with wee ugly faces flying around you coming to kill you also remember the quake 2 in one of the scariest bits where you would approach somewhere with killing machines chopping peoples to bits..pure disgusting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-byGUGWWA&feature=rela... Pure tense.
I used to ply that one when I was 17 or so. but know videogames are so real that makes people sick. I keep playing Battlefield ones

Haha, Quake, classic games. Never got into them though. Don't know why :/ 
Anyways, my parents won't even lend me $20 because we're a pretty poor family :(  I guess I'm completely screwed until christmas. I could wait until then (even though I'm really impatient when it comes to Left 4 Dead, Minecraft, Amnesia, and other awesome games,) however, I have pretty good a programming experience with Game Maker 8 (*insert reader's groan/laugh-at-me here*. People really underestimate Game Maker... :/  ) I think I could program a game and sell it for like 50 cents to make some quick cash, however I'm not quite sure what I should program (I was thinking about some sort of randomly-generated cave exploration.) Whacha guys think about that?
m
l
May 11, 2011 10:41:54 PM

Okay, not to make this a game discussion thread, but I've thought about a game I could program and sell to make some quick cash (probably still 50 cents or so,) and this is what I've come up with:

A 3D horror game with Newton physics, set in late 1939. The looks (and the depressing feeling) would be much like the movie The Triplets of Belleville, if you haven't seen or heard of it, you should go look it up. The intensity and the grotesque monsters will be similar to the Penumbra series and Amnesia: The Dark Descent (also the physics as well.)

Anyways, I'm trying to think up a good storyline, but so far with no avail. I am thinking about tying it into World War 2 and the invasion of Poland, I'm not quite sure though.
m
l
May 12, 2011 12:57:04 AM

Do you know anything about Programing? or how are you going to make this game? I suggest you start off small, I started with Mods.
m
l
May 12, 2011 1:07:23 AM

Mithness said:
Do you know anything about Programing? or how are you going to make this game? I suggest you start off small, I started with Mods.

I've got four years of programming experience with Game Maker.

cubasy said:
*insert reader's groan/laugh-at-me here*
m
l
May 12, 2011 1:42:33 AM

Okay, But TBH it's a long shot,
m
l
May 12, 2011 1:51:33 AM

Mithness said:
Okay, But TBH it's a long shot,

Yeah I know.
I do know that one dude's made up to 500 bucks with a game he made in Game Maker, so I do know that it is indeed possible to make good cash with Game Maker.
If I write an awesome storyline, program good physics (I might need help calculating this,) and create some decent graphics (along the lines of Penumbra Black Plague,) I think I could come up with the cash.
However this might take me quite a while, probably because of programming the graphics (bump mapping and such.) I could find a good C++ bump mapping example and translate it into Game Maker.

Anyways, just me blabbing.
m
l
May 22, 2011 12:01:11 AM

Best answer selected by cubasy.
m
l
May 23, 2011 2:25:20 PM

To be honest, just get a weekend job :) 

When I was 14 I really needed money. Expensive tastes, a penchant for gaming and a desire to fit in with my richer friends lead me to try all sorts of things to get money. I tried filling online surveys (scams), creating blogs that would supposedly pay me: all sorts of supposedly 'fast' and 'easy' ways to get money. None of them worked. Eventually got a job as a waiter at my local pub. They paid me £25 per 5 hour shift, so I was making about £5 an hour, and about £100 a month. I stayed quiet, did the jobs the told me to, and by age 16 I was doing 3 evenings and a Sunday each week on increased pay.

Long story short, by midway through my 2nd year there and at age 16 and a half, I was making £500 a month just from a few evenings and a Sunday afternoon each week. That was more than enough to buy any parts for my computer relatively quickly, and quite a lot for my age. Nothing tastes sweeter than the fruits of your own efforts... Get yourself out there :) 

Anyway, that was possibly very Off-topic, so to balance it out, I hope you get the gaming rig you want :) 

Good luck!
m
l
!