Windows and Motherboards

G

I am changing out a motherboard tonight, and my question is, will Windows need to recognize my new motherboard? I did this about 3 years back, and I deleted a file in the registry, enun...something, I think. I had some help back then from a friend. Or do I even need to do anything? Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Yes.

Windows will NEED to detect the new motherboard (which will happen automatically). If you do not have an OEM copy of Windows loaded (which has all of the windows drivers loaded on your hard disk at: C:\Windows\Options\Cabs) you will need your Windows CD and the driver disks for your new motherboard to complete the upgrade. In any event, you will need the motherboard driver CD which should be run immediately after completing 1 boot that DOES NOT discover new hardware. After loading the CD drivers and rebooting, the autodiscovery will again continue allowing for the unrecognized hardware from the previous boots to now be found. This last step DOES NOT need to be performed if you are replacing the motherboard with THE EXACT SAME motherboard make, model and revision.

As a heads up, you may have several drivers loaded after that will need to be removed (there to support your old motherboard).

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it is not a good idea to do it. A few years ago I change the motherboard without reinstall windows 95. The system is very unstable.

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
If you can, reload the operating system - nothing like a fresh O/S.
Without the reload, the machine will run, but as Upec the Stanger pointed out, things can get whacky.
PETTY DETAIL: If you're going from a single to a dual-cpu motherboard, the O/S won't work at all (same if you're going dual to single, but WHO would do that?). The O/S kernel is number-of-processor(s)-specific.
ANOTHER PETTY DETAIL: If you're running NT4, you can actually do an upgrade (NT4 to NT4) that will correct the hardware settings in the O/S without wiping out your data or installed applications. I don't know if 2000 will do this or not.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, life is tough...
you will need to reinstall windows almost 9 out of 10 times if you change your motherboard.

basically, windows will identify different resources anew and will try to install them. it would take anything between 3 to 10 reboots, if the chipsets are entirely different.

and there is no guarenteed changeover to new hardware profile, strange problems would occur if there are third party drivers installed.

i had a interesting experience when i changed my older Pentium 133 on i430VX to a Celeron 366 on i440LX board - it rebooted 9 times, the system was usable but a bit slower. hence i decided to do a windows reinstall, and tried to copy my files on the c drive to d... and guess what, the clipboard, the drag-drop was gone!!! i couldnt copy to clipboard, clipboard viewer showed nothing, i couldnt drag-drop either! i still dont have any idea how this happened, just as i changed the motherboard. :-(

then i changed the targets of sendto links in the c:\windows\sendto folder to d:\back and "sent" those files to the other drive. because i couldnt copy them anyhow.

does anybody have had any such experiences in a motherboard change affair??? :)

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I want add to what Stable said. If you indeed have an upgrade version of Windows, I recommend copying the CAB files from the Windows installer disk to a folder on the hard drive. It's very annoying when Windows starts looking driver files before it has loaded the CD-ROM driver. If the files are on the hard drive then they will be available.

Good luck!