Sign in with
Your question

How long do you keep an installation of XP?

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 11, 2005 2:00:10 AM

On my system, installing windows and drivers take around 20 minutes. When I have tried too many apps, or windows has developped an annoyance that I can get rid of in 5 minutes, or if I just feel to reinstall Windows, I do it.

Sometime, it can be after 6 month. Other time, 3 month. Even 2 in one month.

I just move my personnal stuff to another partition, , and I fresh install everything, with the latest drivers for all. Sometime, trying various version of a driver just mess something. I do that since I got my first XP install, in 2002.

I just like the snappy feel of a fresh install...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

More about : long installation

March 11, 2005 2:24:20 AM

Quote:
How long do you keep an installation of XP?

As long as I can. I have not reinstalled my Windows XP Pro (SP1) for more than 2 years.
March 11, 2005 4:28:19 AM

the longestestest time I had it on my pc was about 8 days 4 hours 43 minutes and 45.9348596043 seconds before madly reformatting the drive.

""I just like the snappy feel of a fresh install...""

with XP you get that after the fresh install "ONLY", after 2-3 month at most it blogs down each and every time you booooot.

on the other hand have 2k install for more than 2 years without hickups and slowdowns (yet ;)  it ALWAYS feels freshly installed :) >

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
March 11, 2005 4:31:36 AM

ahem.., do you know when SP1 came out?

March 11, 2005 4:52:33 AM

Windows XP have been very stable for me. I have not reinstall Windows XP since I upgraded my computer about a year ago.
March 11, 2005 12:00:47 PM

Well we try to get it to last a year before we reinstall to get rid of the bloat we've aquired over the months. But quite often on my personal machine I tinker with it so much I'm usually restoring from an image every couple months.

....WW (5.0)
March 11, 2005 12:15:26 PM

I dont want to debate about XP vs 2000 here, but I did try 2000 and while it was an ok OS, I chose XP for many reason.

No matter which OS you choose, installing and uninstalling apps and and having a lot of unused file on the HDD will slow down the computer. Doing a cleaning take more time than a fresh install. That why I do that.

It is true that I have always got performing computer, for the time, with up to date components.

March 11, 2005 1:17:40 PM

I'll usually keep mine for at least a year... unless I manage to hose something horribly... then I'll reinstall sooner.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
March 11, 2005 11:28:53 PM

Quote:
do you know when SP1 came out?

I believe it was released around late 2002 or the beginning of 2003 since SP1<b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red> was out at <b><A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp..." target="_new"><font color=blue>2/3/2003</A></b></font color=blue>.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by khha4113 on 03/11/05 05:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 12, 2005 1:40:48 AM

Ive managed to collect so many HD's over the years that I have just about every version of windows installed on seperate ones. I like to benchmark with 2000, it usually spits out higher scores.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"
March 12, 2005 3:34:34 AM

I two PCs I build for friends are still on thier original install after more than three years.

I only reinstall every motherboard, or when a new service pack is released. I had issues with SP2 on an installation that dated back to the release of SP1a. Those issues disappeared after a clean install.

I avoid reinstalls by imaging my OS before trying new software. If it messes up my system I restore.

Also for trouble shooting purposes I will often pop in an unattended install CD, or restore from a clean install to ensure that its not a software issue.

I have a friend who has only did one clean install. Whenever he switches motherboards or has a serious problem he does a repair install.

His system runs fast and stable despite any driver residue from his old MB's/video cards.

PS my OSes never get bloated or slowdown. You sure you are not getting spyware?
March 12, 2005 8:13:53 AM

My last installation lasted about 1.5 years but that was because I was too lazy to do a fresh install. I needed one. Lately I've been doing a lot of fresh installs since I've been building a new system and I created an automated XP disk that loads everything in less than 30 minutes including a bunch of apps.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester, DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D, 1GB Corsair 4400C25PT, WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB, ATI X800XL, Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 12, 2005 12:42:42 PM

No, I dont have any spyware. By slowing down, I meant, when you have a lot of file on the drive and when you look at them, it takes a bit more time than when you just have the OS installed and few apps.

But then, you try this piece of software, then the other, and an other one, then you uninstall one, reinstall another,.. meaning that the partition is almost full and a defrag take too much time...more time than a fresh install.. I guess that I take the habit to defrag my drive more often...

March 12, 2005 1:45:47 PM

My installs last about six months then it's time to wipe everything clean.
March 12, 2005 8:46:46 PM

Ok, nothings actually breaks, you just want a clean start rather and a reinstall is less work than uninstalling software one at a time.
March 12, 2005 10:04:29 PM

Exact. Uninstalling clears some files, but they do not clean all their mess in the registry. Or what about temporary files, that when deleted, just create another hole among the files on the HDD. I dont use all the stuff I have on my HDD every day. I even try software one time, then let it there just in case, and never use it again.

I just fin it more efficient, when you just back-up your personnal data on another partition, then put the XP install CD, and start a new install. I use Firefox and Foxmail(e-mail) and both programs can be saved and moved back to the partition without any bookmark, setting, contacts lost. that is great.

Having an unnatended custom install disk is a nice + too

March 13, 2005 6:30:06 AM

was an ok OS?

hehehe, XP is an ok OS, w2k is THE OS.

March 14, 2005 6:06:28 PM

You know.. WinXp came with this neat feature called System Restore.. Create a restore point every once in a while when things are working good.. If you run into problems, restore. It'll solve more problems than people give it credit for. Once you Reinstall WinXP and get your basics back onboard, do a restore point.. when you have problems, try restoring first to see if that helps out.

Riser
March 14, 2005 9:20:15 PM

I know about system restore.. I use it quite often to clean off some screwed drivers trials, but it doesnt fix everything everytime...

After a while, a fresh install is the way to go, IMO

March 15, 2005 1:22:30 AM

If you manage your XP O/S well, you can keep on going and going on one install without significant performance hits.
Better to figure out what went wrong, then get stuck in the rut of continuously unnecessary re-installations, IMO.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 15, 2005 10:26:29 AM

Actually its better to defrag then reinstall. Windows setup leaves a HD horribly fragmented.

System Restore just dosn't work. It only backs up a few files so you can never truely restore your system.

Instead Use True Image 8 (build 791 or latter) or Ghost 2005 to do a 100% complete backup of your windows partion while XP is running.

PS I just updated a friends OS from SP0 to SP2 and a KT266a MB to KT400 using a repair install. This makes it 3 years and 2 months since I did a clean install which was when I build the system. This is the first time I did a repair install, I would have just applied SP2 except for the MB switch.

Had to reinstall Office (activation), Zone Alarm, Avast, True image, Via 4 in 1 drivers and the motherboards ethernet driver. If she had better internet access I would have been done in an hour.

Benchmarks show identical performance to XP SP2 cleaninstall and stress testing shows system is 100% stable.
March 15, 2005 10:29:32 AM

Exactly, you need to manage your O/S and there should be no need to reinstall other than if hardware fails and data is corrupted.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
March 15, 2005 9:25:47 PM

I have to manage my life, my money, my health, my free time, my house, my work, my car,... I cannot reinstall them!

But my OS is the very last of my preoccupation!!! I just format/reinstall.. 20 minutes later..brand new fresh OS

March 17, 2005 10:31:38 PM

It would be alot faster if you just image or ghost your drive. I use Acronis and it rocks for a system restore.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
March 17, 2005 11:02:10 PM

Quote:
Actually its better to defrag then reinstall. Windows setup leaves a HD horribly fragmented.

Heck yes you are correct. I just reinstalled and installed everything again. My drive was totally wacked. Completed a defrag and everything is fine.
March 24, 2005 5:12:25 AM

don't be redicules, when you install windows it will always be fragmented after the install, absolutely no matter what you do before.

March 24, 2005 9:05:00 AM

Quote:
I have to manage my life, my money, my health, my free time, my house, my work, my car,... I cannot reinstall them!

But my OS is the very last of my preoccupation!!! I just format/reinstall.. 20 minutes later..brand new fresh OS

Well said Pat ... I reinstall only when absolutely necessary ... I keep a defraged, clean, virus/spyware/scumware-free system ... I run a registry cleaner routinely. My system is still as fast as it was when I put it together 19 months ago ...

<b>FireFox <A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/" target="_new"><font color=red>1.0.2</font color=red></A>: Released ...</b>
March 24, 2005 3:19:57 PM

I go no futher than a year before I dump my rig but could be earlier if it starts acting wierd and cannot find the cause.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
March 25, 2005 1:48:29 AM

The installation I'm running right now went thru 1 motherboard change (nforce3 to nforce4), 4 video card(AIW9600XT, Radeon 7000 PCI, X600XT VIVO and X600XT non vivo i'm running right now), 2 sound cards( Audigy2 and M-Audio Revo 7.1), multiple DVD decoder (ATI, nvidia, powerDVD, WinDVD), 2 kind of onboard sound(from my Soltek and now gigabyte), and multiple install and trials of video and dvd editing and burning software. I had to do a repair install when I did the switch, as the RAID drivers from nforce3 were not compatible with the nforce4 chipset....

It is still working good. I dont plan to reinstall before I got my new Soltek nforce4 board. Not that I dont like my gigabyte, but I prefer Soltek layout and they were always rock stable, so I'll continue with them. When I'll get it,m then I will fresh install Windows again. Unless this one get screwed badly...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!
!