Building a Gaming Computer

HeThatMangles

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hello, I was shopping through Best Buy looking for a good gaming laptop to replace my MacBook that's starting to crap out on me. When I realized that there's no way to get a viable gaming laptop, I began fielding the idea of building a desktop computer in my mind, with a small netbook to complement it. I looked up videos of it and it looks like something I could do. This is my first time building a computer though, so I need help. Every other site on the planet sent me here. So for a decent computer (let's say, can run Brink at recommended settings), what can I expect to pay? And how would the project be difficulty-wise? I have a basic knowledge of computers, but nothing too in-depth. I'm good with software, but I've never mucked about the hardware side of things. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
I'd expect to pay 1000-1500 for a gaming computer with specs for brink. Build wise it isn't too bad if you read some help guides and follow the manuals. I know my first build had me scared half to death but I did it right the first time and didn't have anything that was DOA. Troubleshooting the first build sounds awful. Tom's has a 1000 build which is great for what you want or you can put a thread in the system section and why_me will give you a build in no time flat :p

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'd expect to pay 1000-1500 for a gaming computer with specs for brink. Build wise it isn't too bad if you read some help guides and follow the manuals. I know my first build had me scared half to death but I did it right the first time and didn't have anything that was DOA. Troubleshooting the first build sounds awful. Tom's has a 1000 build which is great for what you want or you can put a thread in the system section and why_me will give you a build in no time flat :p

Solution

HeThatMangles

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

I'm not sure if you're kidding or playing a joke on why_me or not :D. And in regards to your sig, that's still gibberish to me. I'm still unenlightened. Do it do gaming good?

HeThatMangles

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

What are the advantages of having multiple graphics cards?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
More performance and I don't have to spend 500 at once I can buy one now for 250 and one later for 250 or less depending how long I wait. For me its more economical and something I can look forward to buying later!