Can't install Oblivion

Hi guys.

I decided to go back and play Oblivion (GOTY Edition) again but when i try to install it has the CRC error with my Oblivion.esm file, you can choose to retry or ignore so i tried retry many times and got nowhere. Then i tried ignore and the game installed but when i click new game nothing happens. I have tried googling the problem and it says it's something wrong with my DVD (annoying) but since i own the DVD i think it's legal or at least morally right to be allowed to download the torrent. So i tried that (twice) and both did the same thing. This is in a clean reformat of Windows 7 and it did it on XP too. Then i just googled oblivion.esm and downloaded that and tried that and it didn't make any difference. Lastly i put my original Oblivion.esm back and tried patching it but the patch wouldn't work :(.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crc is usualy cause by physical damage to the disk.
try cleaning it.
if it still doesnt work try the turtle wax trick... if you cant take it to a shop to have the disk surface buffed.

get a lens cloth and put a dab of turtle wax on it. then rub it over the scratch on the disk in a circular motion. this will react with the plastic causing it to melt slightly which in turn will reduce the impact of the scratch.keep buffing till the wax dissipates and the disk looks polished in that spot. next wash it with a little bit of washing up liquid to get ridd of any grease or dirt... it doesn't work on gouges that go down to the data level but will buff out minor scratches that may cause a crc error.

the other option as you have torrented the file. is to copy the whole disk on to a partition on your hdd. and install from that.
any file you get a crc error from replace from the torrent you grabbed. make sure there the same size though b4 you swap them out.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I agree with HEXiT, the CRC is usually a scratch on the disc. It has happened a lot to me in the past but now all my games are on Steam. I bought Oblivion GOTY edition for less than $10 awhile ago. I'd recommend that you wait until it goes on sale again (most likey during their summer sales) and buy it again through Steam...you'll never have to worry about scratch disks again.

giunda

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
i was try to fix thet error, my problem sam in there
but i can't.
any once can help me!
off this: sorry because my English!