Motherboard and RAM

G

Well, I've been wanting to upgrade my RAM to anything faster than pc100. Right now it is dragging my T-bird 800. The problem is that about 5 months ago I unknowingly purchased an A-Bit KT7-RAID. Anyody have any ideas as to how this handles high speed RAM? I know there is no DDR support and minimal high speed ECC, but could you clarify it for me?
Now the question is, can I get pc150 RAM for it or will I havae to swap boards?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the board you have good overclocking features, so you could drag your tbird 800 far a fair bit.
you could use a pc150 sdram, but might not be able to make full use of its bandwidth, you might be able to reach 140, people have went as far as 160 with efforts.

now when you increase the ram speed, that fsb, you also increase the operating speed of the processor by a proportional factor. basically the processor runs at some multiple of the fsb, in you case its 8. the bus runs at 100 MHz while the cpu runs at 100x8 = 800 Mhz. when you increse the fsb, say to 110 MHz, the processor will run at 880 MHz, and now you will be confronted with stability problems.

you will need to improve cooling, as well as increase the core voltage, which by default is 1.85 V. see your motherboard docs for details. you should be able to increase it in steps of 0.025 V.

it might be a good idea to decrease the multiplier while you increase the fsb so that the processor may not run too fast yet you will have a faster memory subsystem.

p.s. check whether your cpu is unlocked so that you can change the multiplier. you need to close the L1 bridges on the cpu surface to do that.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>