Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer problems fps

Last response: in Video Games
May 9, 2011 2:12:40 PM

I am at my wits end. I am a little old lady that enjoys playing AoC. Not very computer literate either. I am out a little over $300 trying to get help for my fps problem. I have had my computer with two fix-it places and two geeks here at home. The last place wants me to bring my computer in, again, to put one of their hardrives in to "see how things work". This will cost me another $100. I'm sick of it. I feel very taken advantage of. Sorry for the complaining.

I have low fps. Just standing still I only get around 19 (should have 50-75). In a raid it goes as low as 4 (should be no lower than 30)! I use my computer for nothing else but to play the game I love, a little e-mail and a few google searches. I have all settings set so low that its an insult for such a nice card. No shadows, no grass, no particles, no water etc...everything else is set on low. My npc's are grey and can't see much background because I have things set so low. I'm using directx 9...seems that directx10 makes things worse. Dxdiag shows my computer is directx11. Game requirements are dual core 2.4ghz, 2gb, Geforce 7900, vista or better.

My computer:
AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.3ghz
4 gb Ram
Geforce GTX 460 (placed my Geforce GTS 250 thinking it would improve my fps)
600w power supply
Win7 64bit
1920x1080 23" LG monitor

Defrag and disk cleanup done weekly. malware, adware etc..removal.have all been done. Drives have been uninstalled and re-installed several times.

Please help me...sorry for the long e-mail.

More about : computer problems fps

May 9, 2011 3:28:14 PM

Hi Ahlayna,

First off, is this a new problem or has AoC always performed this way on this specific computer? Before making any more hardware changes, I would do a Windows reinstall, then ensure your firmware for your motherboard and graphics card are up-to-date. Lastly, I would ensure you have the latest version of nVidia drivers.

Second, assuming the problem persists, read on: MMOs can be more CPU-bound than simple shooter games. Your processor clocks just under the minimum system requirements and you are no doubt seeing a CPU bottleneck that is restricting your GPU from performing any faster (a 250 to a 460 should be a nice boost, just over 100% faster on benchmarking).

The AMD Phenom 9600 is an AM2+ prcessor. Do you know if your motherboard is an AM2 or AM2+ motherboard? If it is AM2+, you are in luck, as AM3 (such as the Athlon II or Phenom II) processors will work in AM2+ motherboards, and you can upgrade your CPU and eliminate the bottleneck.

If it is a pre-built computer sold by a retailer (i.e. someone didn't build it for you, but you bought it from Dell/HP/etc.), you may need to call the manufacturer with the model number and ask them what type of motherboard it is.

Let us know how it goes.
m
l
May 9, 2011 4:53:14 PM

How wonderful of you to answer!!

1. The fps problem is not new, I believe. As I progressed in AoC (my first mmo) and with the new grafics and play area's funcom has added, the fps problem has gotten worse.

2. I had vista, then changed to an evaluation copy of win 7, then installed win 7 a year ago. Unfortunatly (not knowing) I installed 32 bit. Last summer in reinstalled the 64 bit. Do you still advise a re-install?

3. I got the part number off my motherboard (Asus M2N68-AM SE2) and the website says:

CPU Socket Type AM2+/AM2
CPU Type Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2

If you feel I need to replace this thing please let me know what you would recomend. I am clueless.

4. If this helps any my hard drive only scores a 5.2. All other devices score over 7.00. It says I have 162 free space.

5. My brother built my computer. He is of no help with my fps problem.

6. All drivers are current.

I have been told over and over that I have a bottle neck problem. You are the first to offer any explanation as to where it may possibly be. You don't know how much I appreciate this help. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 9, 2011 5:34:41 PM

Hi Ahlayna,

1. That makes sense--as MMOs age, developers typically add new features and occasionally update the graphics engine, making systems that were borderline no longer able to run them as quickly as possible.

2. I'm assuming this is a 64 bit version of Windows 7? With the recent upgrades, I would install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and go from there. But I'm betting you will still have the FPS problem.

3. Good news -- your motherboard is AM2+, which means it supports socket AM3 processors (the Phenom II and Athlon II). Depending what your budget is for upgrading, you have a host of options: It is possible to get an Athlon II X2 (X2 means dual core) for as cheap as $60, but since it sounds like you don't upgrade very often, I would suggest a Phenom II (higher end) X4 (quad core).

Right now, the best bang-for-your-buck seems to be the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 for $140, which is only $1 more than the 955, which is a 3.2 GHz chip. This is a substantial bit more than the system requirements of AoC, and should let you crank up the graphics quite a bit in conjunction with your GTX 460.*

4. I'm assuming you mean 160 GB, not 160 MB? A mechanical HD (non-SSD/solid state drive) is going to get a lower WEI score. Don't worry about that--all a fast hard drive does is speed up your loading screens, not the FPS.

5. That's fine, it sounds like he built it a little while ago.

6. Good.

If you want to upgrade, respond back with a budget and we can figure out with a little more specificity which way you can go.

* As with all upgrades, especially when mixing and matching motherboards and processors, it would be a good idea to contact Asus and verify that the processor you plan to purchase will work with your motherboard.
May 9, 2011 5:35:38 PM

can ypu please go to start/run and type dxdiag.
let it create a log (with the save all info button) and save it to your desk top.

then could you cut and paste from system information down to system devices.
this will tell us exactly what is in your machine and if it tallys up whith what you think you have.

some unscrupulous vendors have been known to swap out parts for lesser 1s and this will tell us whether they have done this.
apart from that it will give us a better idea of what is running...

also what bios version are you running.

m
l
May 9, 2011 5:43:52 PM

This system will have 0 bottlenecks in just about any game. Make sure the game runs on 64 bit OK though. But your issue is also not new with the OS. Have you checked your internet connection?
m
l
May 9, 2011 5:58:30 PM

hang-the-9 said:
This system will have 0 bottlenecks in just about any game. Make sure the game runs on 64 bit OK though. But your issue is also not new with the OS. Have you checked your internet connection?

From what I have read, AoC takes full advantage of dual cores, but not so much with quad cores. That is why the OP, although having a quad core CPU, is having trouble running AoC, because the cores run at 2.3 GHz.

Considering that even the Phenom II X2s are $90-110, and while dual core, run much faster (the 565 runs at 3.4 GHz), I think the OP would see a big performance boost with a new processor.
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:05:19 PM

Even a low-end dual core CPU will have much better results that what is here. The CPU will have 0 effect on the issues. She's getting way too low fps on Low settings, that should not be happening. If she was getting say 30-40 fps and wanted to go to 60, then maybe a faster CPU will help.
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:36:53 PM

Thank you so much for the reply's.

MR. MOZART: I have $400 left to spend on computer parts. But I am concerned about my motherboard too. Do you feel it ok to put in a new cpu in a motherboard that will only hold 4g of Ram? It only has two slots, I have a 2gb stick in each slot.

MR. HEX: Hope I got everything you needed. My bios is American Megatrends Inc. 0704, 5/19/2009. Thank you in advance for your help too!!

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/9/2011, 12:58:59
Machine name: TERRY-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/19/09 17:39:00 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1425MB used, 6763MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

MR HANG: Yes AoC is 64bit. I just did a speed test...ping 45ms, download speed 2.93mbps, upload speed .64mbps. I am told by Verizon that 3.00mbps is the fastest dsl that I can get. I goes thru my land line. They have provided me with a wirless combination router and dsl box. And thank you to for your help!!
m
l
May 9, 2011 8:10:47 PM

Hi Ahlayna,

Here's the deal: You can either upgrade just your processor (your motherboard can handle an AM3 chip and 4GB of memory is fine), or you can buy an entire motherboard, which necessitates a new processor and memory.

AMD is on the verge of releasing new processors in the coming months. I wouldn't jump for a new motherboard/CPU/memory combo just now unless you are going for an Intel Sandy Bridge chip (quite powerful), which was recently released.

So you can:

1. Buy a new AMD AM3-socket processor

2. Buy a new AMD AM3 motherboard, processor, and memory

3. Buy a new Intel Sandy Bridge CPU, motherboard, and memory

#1 is definitely the cheapest, #2 isn't advisable given new AMD processors about to be released, and #3 will give you the most powerful computer, but you're probably going to come in right at the top end of your budget.

Hope this helps!
m
l
May 9, 2011 9:38:48 PM

Thank you so much. A new processor it is. I will be sure to let you know how it works out.
m
l
May 9, 2011 9:44:42 PM

ahlayna said:
Thank you so much. A new processor it is. I will be sure to let you know how it works out.

Keep in mind I first recommended reinstalling Windows, and maybe even wiping your hard drive first. If you have lots of little programs hogging up resources (like [fake] anti-virus programs), that could contribute towards your slow performance.

So do that first and start from scratch (including a fresh install/download of the game) and see if the problem persists. I'm thinking it might. :ange: 
m
l
May 10, 2011 9:38:18 AM

thing is your system meets minimum spec. it should run smoothly. the only thing i can think of is that you have to much running in the background...
as an experiment get game booster by iobit.
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html install and run it, now try playing your game...
if it plays smoothly then you know its down to your startup items, services and background tasks... you will then need a program line win 7 manager to optimize your system to remove a lot of unneeded processes.
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:22:33 PM

MR. MOZART: AVG is the only virus program I have. And it does cooperate with gaming.

1. Pop out old cpu, pop in new one
2. Uninstall Windows 7 and Aoc, Reinstall both.

Thank you

MR. HEX: I do use game booster. I have very little running in the background and did not see a whole lot of difference. I have eliminated all unnecessary items from startup.

Thank you!
m
l
May 10, 2011 2:30:38 PM

then your left with no option but to upgrade...
m
l
May 11, 2011 3:13:25 AM

Let us know how it goes. :) 
m
l
May 16, 2011 12:19:48 PM

Weeeee...Yahoooo!!! That fixed it!! I was able to jack up my graphics, not all the way, but enough to enjoy!! I saw fps as high as 80!! And that was in a high graphics area. I raided that night and the fps held an average of 40. By the way, I topped the list for highest dps instead of the usual 16th or 17th place. After talking to better than a dozen other gamers, dragging my computer into a computer fix-it place, remote asistance, an hour with a supposed computer geek at my house and hours scanning the internet for high fps tricks, your advise was the answer to my problem. Although my husband and grandson have reservations. They didn't see me the whole weekend. I had never got to play as I am now. Thank you Mr. Mozart for making an old woman very happy!! Note: I did not uninstall/re-install windows 7 or the game. :bounce: 
m
l
May 16, 2011 2:35:43 PM

Glad it helped! Enjoy!
m
l
May 26, 2011 7:37:45 PM

Best answer selected by ahlayna.
m
l
!