A7V problems

G

i just bought a asus a7v board rev 1.05 it doesnt have a fan on the chipset heatsink. also, on the cpu voltage jumpers, the online help shows vid 4,3,2,1 in this order from top to bottom. jumperfree being all on pins 3 and 4.mine has vid 1,2,3,4 from top to bottom? when i change to user define cpu voltage and change it to 1.75, then check in hardware monitor in bios, it reads a default of 1.5 still. i cant get this thing to load windows. i have a hard drive that works on a intel machine with windows me on it, when i put it on my new machine it fails to boot up. it will give 1 beep as if post is ok, and says memory is ok. i also tried a disk that has been formatted and when it begins to load the files to start the windows installation wizard it freezes. do you think the low voltage of 1.5 is possibly the problem? doesnt a 900 t-bird require 1.75v? i also have a geforce2 gts card, can someone give me some bios settings to get me up and running. is rev. 1.05 a real board, i dont see higher than 1.04 on asus website. thanks dave

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
change the voltage settings back to default(pins 3 and 4). Set the JEN jumper to pin 1 and 2(for jumper mode). Now adjust the DIP switches to the correct setting for a 900. I believe for CPU bus 1,2,3,4 are on. For multiplier its 1,2,5,6 on and 3,4 off. hope this helps.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

G

i did what you said and i still have 1.55v according to hardware monitor in bios. i tried to manually adjust voltage to 1.75v, but still registers 1.55v. it will go thru post with 1 beep, then when trying to load windows either reboot, shutdown completely like you pulled the plug, or give a windows protection error. i have a Hivision 300w power supply. could it be at fault? is this 1.55v my problem?

G

First, I don't know the correct voltage for your chip, but it should work if you leave all the settings as default and let the CPU set things up on its own. You can play around with changing settings after you get things working. I'm curious why you went with an A7V when it has been replaced by the A7V133 which has many less problems.

Switching a hard drive from a different machine will not always work. You probably need to reformat it and start fresh. (If you use partitions, you don't have to lose any data this way). When I bought my new AMD system, the IDE controller on my A7V133 calculated a different total size for my old hard drive than the IDE controller on the old Intel based machine which originally formatted the drive. While I could read all the files on the drive, I could not use it to boot windows. My solution was to install windows on a freshly formatted drive, transfer all the files over, and then reformat the original drive.

G

i did get a av7133 they also have a a7v133a which has a 266 bus capacity. default voltage comes up 1.55v. 900 t-bird needs 1.75

G

The A7V133 has the 266MHz and 200MHz FSB. I know because I have one. It uses the KT133A chipset from VIA. I have seen some sites mistakenly call it the A7V133A because of the A in the name of the chipset. To my knowledge and the websites of Asus, there is no A7V133A.

There is an A7V which has the KT133 chipset and only supports the 200MHz FSB. I have also seen some people mistakenly call this board an A7V133 because of the 133 in the name of the chipset.

I admit it is all a bit confusing and I'm glad I don't have to take credit for the naming schemes.

Now back to your voltage problem. I've looked at several of your posts and can't really come up with an explanation. Here's a question for you and other forum members. I know you have to close the L1 bridges in order to select a CPU multiplier and FSB that are different from the defaults. Is this also true of the voltage setting? With the L1 bridges open could his CPU be forcing the mobo to use the wrong voltage if the bridges that control the default voltage were incorrectly set during manufacturing? I can't say I've heard of that happening but I suppose it is a possibility.

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I bought a bum 1.1 gig tbird from a crap PC shop, lets just say it never worked. I would try to boot Windows and get protection errors. Maybe your CPU's bad :frown: .

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>