PLEASE HELP with motherboard driver questions

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
kay guys I need help. My first question after I install Windows 98 onto my hard drive how do I load the motherboard drivers. Now I understand how to load drivers for the peripherals (video card, sound card, modem, and NIC). It is for the motherboard that I am totally lost.

First I have the MSI K7-Master. I saw many people talking about the VIA 4 in 1 driver. Though I don't think I can use this since my north chipset is an AMD and the south only is a VIA (AMD 760 chipset). So am I right that I can't use the 4 in 1 since both my chips are NOT Via?

Next, what motherboard related components do I install drivers for in the "Device Manager". The ones that I think I am supposed to supply are as follows:

Floppy Disk Controllers
Hard Disk Constrollers:
.....PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
.....Primary IDE controller
.....Secondary IDE controler
Universal Serial Bus controllers:
.....PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
.....USB Root Hub
AGP driver
There is a crap load of things under "System Devices"...

Okay...I am just freakin lost!!! It sounds like most people only need to run 1 driver load file for their motherboard (like those using the VIA 4 in 1). Do I need to load all of these freakin things separetly??? I mean if that is the case that is a lot of work. I don't mind doing a driver for each card (modem, sound, video, and NIC). But for the motherboard....Well...I welcome all of your help.....

It worked yesterday! :lol:

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Didn't you get a CD with you motherboard? I am pretty sure that if you recieved a CD, which you should have, then when windows ask for the loc just insert CD and do it like all other drivers. I can't say for sure though because I have a all VIA board.

OH I forgot to ask, what version of the K7 Master do you have, is it the 1.1 with 133FSB?? I'm just curious, and how much was it.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Booky on 04/23/01 03:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks Booky, I did get a CD with the motherboard. Though as you know when you buy any hardware and open it their are "newer" drivers already made. I want to load all of the latest drivers for all my components. The motherboard is the only one that I am confused on.

I do have the 1.1 version of that board. It cost $160 before taxes and shipping.

It worked yesterday! :lol: