ASUS A7V + Win98 = HANG?

G

Hello,
I have just bought an Athlon 1 GHz
PC equipped with ASUS A7V MB and 256 MB RAM.
Bios rev is 1007.
Configuration details:
I have Maxtor UDMA 100 20 GB HD on Primary Onboard Promise Controller (UltraDMA 100) as Master, Quantum UDMA 33 6.5 GB HD as Master on Secondary Onboard Promise, CD-ROM and CD-RW as Master/Slave on Secondary OnBoard IDE Controller, nothing on Onboard Primary IDE.
Promise->disk connection are made using UDMA66/100 cables, while Standard onboard IDE use normal 40pin cable.
The Problem: on Win98 SE often ScanDisk and Defrag hang the whole system, even though the mouse pointer continues to move.
Keyboard locks and Win no longer responds.
Only way to get out is reset.
Any hint? I am stuck on it...
Thanx
Mario

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
It sound like you have some TSR or other program running in the background while trying to run scandisk and defrag. Try doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del before performing your windows utility tools, then "end task" on every thing except Explorer and Tray then run scandisk and defrag. Hope this helps.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

dhlucke

Polypheme
It sounds like you already got the computer setup, but I had a problem while building an A7V system. Problem was it was overheating. Not sure if that helps, but what are your temps and what kind of cooling are you using.

Also, if you haven't already got the computer setup and installed the ultra100 drivers, then you should try to get the computer running on the primary and secondary IDE first and then move to the ultra100.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

G

Maybe I have solved - I publish this because could help others: updated the mobo Bios to 1008x -> no result was noticed, upgraded all drivers -> no way out again BUT
reinstalling Win98 made the UltraATA100 drive get about 25%
slower (but performing still remarkably with a Sandra Drive Index of about 25000); more important, all troubles seem to be gone, made scandisk and defrag over and over again without any hassle.
The only test I still have to do is install both the Antivirus (InoculateIt) and Nero, that were installed when everything seemed wrong. Thanx and keep finger crossed!!!