A7V power

G

i just got a bare bones system with a7v and t-bird 900. if i use jumperfree settings and default ,i get 1.55v at cpu. i moved jen jumper to position 1-2 so that i could manually adjust voltage to try and get 1.75v. when i look at hardware monitor in bios it stays at 1.55v still. the computer will go past post with 1 beep, then when it tries to start in safe mode or normal mode, the computer does any of the following,, windows protection error, reboots by itself again, or just shuts off completely as if the plug were pulled. my power supply is a Hivision, it says that it is supposedly 300w, could this be a problem or my memory or what? thanks dave.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
As a heads up, before you begin you should have your VIO set to 3.30 or 3.35 Volts. I know that by default Asus likes to have it set to 3.45V or 3.56V (depending on the board) but this can really kill the life of your system components. You should also remember that changing your CPU voltage WILL DRAMATICALLY SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE CPU!

On an A7V (from left to right) your dip switches should be set to ON, ON, OFF, OFF, ON, ON - as far as the second bank is concerned. All dip switches on the CPU BUS switch (the one to the far left) should be set to ON.

I suspect the voltage that you are referring to is the Voltage Regulator Output Setting (VROS) or VID1 through VID4 jumpers which we HIGHLY RECOMMEND that users leave alone. If you are going to overvolt, you should remember that it is quite possible to burn up your CPU, or otherwise cause damage, nevermind shortening the life of the CPU.

If you are trying to overvolt to 1.575/1.60Volts, your jumpers would be set (from top to bottom) 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 2-3.

To go to 1.625/1.65Volts, 1-2, 2-3, 1-2, 1-2.

You can look in your manual for the others or on the Asus website, since I wouldn't want to be the guy that gave you the voltages that burned up your CPU. I'd feel bad about that.

You should also make sure that you have the latest 1008.01B BIOS. It may be found at:

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_KT133/A7V/

I Hope this helps.
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'