When I first bought my PII 300 the AGP aperture size was set at 64MB. At the time I only had 64MB of PC-66.

Now I'm operating with 256MB of PC-100 and a while back I increased the aperture to 128MB.

Last week I saw a mention of the "out of memory" problems that can be encountered with Win98SE operating like this. I've had the odd problem this way myself, so I set the aperture back and so far so good.

Is this purely an OS problem, or is it a chipset/graphics/memory problem that can be fixed by tweaks?

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you've been gaming for a couple of hours, that memory will leak out under win98. If you want to see the effects really quick, run Cleansweep through the registry, and then try to surf the internet. The 16bit resources are down to 500k free.

So as long as you reboot, say every hour or two, you'll never see it. I've gotten the 'out of memory' error once. It's been difficult for me to break the habit of rebooting every hour, but this t-bird system is so stable, i've been pushing the limits of win98 stability.

TRENDING THREADS