Sony's Epic Failure: Going Backwards in the Wrong Direction

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Going Backwards in the Wrong Direction By: HotelRomeo

Sony's troubles began long before George Hotz's OS exploits and the "Anonymous" DOS (Denial of Service) attacks. Sony has managed to anger a majority of the gaming/entertainment market. How did this happen?

It's a simple answer, Sony went backwards and punished customers for security holes they created. They've been in damage control mode for nearly 2 years.

It wasn't always this way...When the PS3 was first released in 2006 it was a marvel of a machine. A Cell Broadband CPU, Blu-ray!, HDMI support out the box, 20 and 60 GB HDDs, Full Backwards compatibility, an Internet Browser, an option to run Linux, what? and "free" access to something called the PSN.

What happened next will forever tarnish what Sony hoped to achieve with the PS3, they started taking things away. Rule number one, never take away features from a loyal customer base. The first major setback was taking away backwards compatibility. Now it was being released as "limited" backwards support until the PS3 Slim made sure it was at "zero" backwards support. Next feature to remove, the infamous Other OS option. So Sony releases the now infamous (not the game) OS blocker patch and hackers galore seem to have Kratos caliber vengeance on their minds. Suddenly the PS3 went from marvel to mess; Sony was trying to patch every bit and byte of the PS3 and at the cost of their customer's experience. The third and fatal mistake, Sony blew it on Security. Their device was comprised worse than Nixon's Watergate tapes and their network followed suit. Once again who paid the price for these huge oversights? You and I.

Meanwhile...Microsoft seems to add their customer's experience. Have you ever met an unhappy 360 owner? I haven't.

Fittingly my original 2006 PS3 crashed almost exactly when the PSN was shutdown. So nearly 5 years later the PSN is down, data (our data) compromised and with no ETA. You and I have spent time and money beta testing for Sony. It was fun for a while but you blew it Sony, you have earned this Epic Failure Trophy.

You obviously haven't met many xbox owners. I have friends that were on their 4th or 5th xbox, all having gone the way of the RROD. Of course newer models don't suffer this problem, at least not very often, but Microsoft had to extend their service warranty because so many were failing.

hotelromeo

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

4th or 5th sure sounds a "bit" exaggerated. Your friends may have hardware complaints but overall Microsoft hasn't dropped the ball like Sony of Japan. Example: The 360 Slim didn't take anything away, in fact it added features. I'm curious which version of the 360 was giving them The Ring.

No, that's not exaggerated. These were mostly the original xbox 360. Once Microsoft released the jasper platform ( think it was a die shrink) all was OK.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing which platform is better, just that both have/had their problems.