Sign in with
Your question

Mobile 440BX vs. 815EM with mobile PIII

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2001 8:27:15 PM

IBM is releasing a ThinkPad 1 GHz PIII 100 MHz FSB with the 440BX chipset while Dell is releasing their Inspiron 8000 1 GHz PIII 100 MHz FSB with the 815EM chipset. Since they both chipset run at 100 MHz, is there any speed/performance benefit to the 815EM chipset?
April 24, 2001 4:58:11 AM

The only way to get an i815 to outperform a BX is to ramp the fsb way up on the i815: All things being equal, the BX is the faster of the two.

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>
April 24, 2001 8:02:21 AM

The advantage in a notebook when comparing the two would be the higher AGP bus frequency in the 815. Then, you should consider the battery life advantages gained from the better power consumption and management features available in the latest chipset boards.

Do your homework on the notebooks (even more so than the desktops) the little differences are what can make a unit totally stink or really shine.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
April 24, 2001 3:30:05 PM

As is so often the case, Steve is right on about the i815's higher AGP port frequency.
From what little I've read about the Dell 8000, it uses a modified Geforce MX2 card and it's possible it may take advantage of the 4x AGP frequency...
I also neglected to mention, I have a strong prejudice towards the 440BX chipset. I've used the BX over the last 3+ years for my gaming pc's.
There are also notebooks that operate at 133 mhz along the frontside, do a search on pricewatch.
Thanks to Steve for being one of the most knowledgeable and helpful posters on this forum. He gives great advice and never treats anyone w/ derision, even if the inquiry is kind of silly or self-evident.

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>
!