Is Redguard worth getting?

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hello everyone,

I found Redguard cheap (either on Half.com or GoGamer, I can't recall...: )
and was wondering if it's a worthwhile purchase. I have XP, but I saved a
post where someone explained how to get it to work on XP (lots of games work
on my system anyway--it's a rare one that doesn't, even Windows 95 ones). I
also have access to a computer with Windows 98 installed.

Anyway, would it be worth getting or would I be really disappointed after
already playing Morrowind? I have heard great things about it and was
seriously considering it.

Thanks for any opinions,

Dawn
17 answers Last reply
More about redguard worth getting
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:56:50 -0700, "stepdawn" <stepdawnkat@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I found Redguard cheap (either on Half.com or GoGamer, I can't recall...: )
    >and was wondering if it's a worthwhile purchase. I have XP, but I saved a
    >post where someone explained how to get it to work on XP (lots of games work
    >on my system anyway--it's a rare one that doesn't, even Windows 95 ones). I
    >also have access to a computer with Windows 98 installed.
    >
    >Anyway, would it be worth getting or would I be really disappointed after
    >already playing Morrowind? I have heard great things about it and was
    >seriously considering it.
    >
    >Thanks for any opinions,
    >
    >Dawn

    I won't offer an opinion either way on whether it is good or not, as
    that would be biased. :)

    You probably know, but just in case, Redguard is an adventure game and
    is quite unlike Morrowind (pointing this out since you made the
    comparison). If your line of thinking is that Redguard is an RPG like
    Morrowind, you would indeed be disappointed.

    Also, please be aware that Redguard is an odd DOS/Windows hybrid. It
    uses the Xngine, which is a DOS engine, but uses the Windows Virtual
    Memory Manager. XP may be problematic if your drive is formatted as
    NTFS.

    It also has only 3dfx Voodoo/2 support and a rather bad software
    renderer for everything else. Though you can use a Glide Wrapper, I
    believe.

    It might be a bit more trouble than it's worth to you.

    --
    Mike
    BSW

    <Mike - BSW> wrote in message
    > I won't offer an opinion either way on whether it is good or not, as
    > that would be biased. :)
    >
    > You probably know, but just in case, Redguard is an adventure game and
    > is quite unlike Morrowind (pointing this out since you made the
    > comparison). If your line of thinking is that Redguard is an RPG like
    > Morrowind, you would indeed be disappointed.
    >
    > Also, please be aware that Redguard is an odd DOS/Windows hybrid. It
    > uses the Xngine, which is a DOS engine, but uses the Windows Virtual
    > Memory Manager. XP may be problematic if your drive is formatted as
    > NTFS.
    >
    > It also has only 3dfx Voodoo/2 support and a rather bad software
    > renderer for everything else. Though you can use a Glide Wrapper, I
    > believe.
    >
    > It might be a bit more trouble than it's worth to you.
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > BSW

    Thanks so much Mike, for the information. I must confess that I only
    understood about every third word of the last two paragraphs ; ). Well, ok,
    maybe every other word, but I'll run that stuff past my computer savvy
    husband so he can translate.

    If I can get it to work, I'd like to play it. Pure adventure is fine.

    Dawn
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Mike - BSW wrote in news:99oo7057updn9cmlbbjilmaeioj7jt2p8r@4ax.com:

    > Also, please be aware that Redguard is an odd DOS/Windows hybrid. It
    > uses the Xngine, which is a DOS engine, but uses the Windows Virtual
    > Memory Manager. XP may be problematic if your drive is formatted as
    > NTFS.

    Xcuze me - whatever does the file system have to do with anything? I think
    you're in over your head here.

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    On 14 Apr 2004 02:09:27 GMT, Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Xcuze me - whatever does the file system have to do with anything? I think
    >you're in over your head here.

    I've always had Windows complain that Redguard was trying to directly
    access the file system which was not allowed by NTFS. When running on
    a FAT32 drive, no such error occured.

    But your right, I could be completely wrong. That was more of an
    observation made at the time. If you have found otherwise, I will
    happily stand corrected.

    --
    Mike
    BSW

    "stepdawn" <stepdawnkat@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > <Mike - BSW> wrote in message
    >> I won't offer an opinion either way on whether it is good
    >> or not, as that would be biased. :)
    >>
    >> You probably know, but just in case, Redguard is an
    >> adventure game and is quite unlike Morrowind (pointing
    >> this out since you made the comparison). If your line of
    >> thinking is that Redguard is an RPG like Morrowind, you
    >> would indeed be disappointed.
    >>
    >> Also, please be aware that Redguard is an odd DOS/Windows
    >> hybrid. It uses the Xngine, which is a DOS engine, but
    >> uses the Windows Virtual Memory Manager. XP may be
    >> problematic if your drive is formatted as NTFS.
    >>
    >> It also has only 3dfx Voodoo/2 support and a rather bad
    >> software renderer for everything else. Though you can use
    >> a Glide Wrapper, I believe.
    >>
    >> It might be a bit more trouble than it's worth to you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >> BSW
    >
    > Thanks so much Mike, for the information. I must confess
    > that I only understood about every third word of the last
    > two paragraphs ; ). Well, ok, maybe every other word, but
    > I'll run that stuff past my computer savvy husband so he
    > can translate.
    >
    > If I can get it to work, I'd like to play it. Pure
    > adventure is fine.
    >
    > Dawn

    Well for the last part (the wrapper Mike refers to, and
    you'll want it as it makes the game look much prettier than
    the software version) you'll want either:

    Glidos from:
    http://www.glidos.net/

    You can use it as a demo version, but if you want to continue
    using it you'll want to get rid of the spinning glidos logo
    which costs $10.

    The site also has a good guide on how to get the game setup &
    running, which it's probaly worth reading before buying the
    game, to help decide if it's worth the hassle.

    http://www.glidos.net/redguard.html?lang=en

    Or the free one here that somebody else posted previously:

    http://www.freeweb.hu/dege/

    which I haven't got round to trying yet.

    As to the game itself, I really enjoyed it when I played it.
    I would describe it as an action adventure, but it does have
    a rather nice RPG (MW) atmosphere, just don't expect it to be
    MW as it's much more structured in what you have to do, and
    the order you have to do it. Fighting is different as it's
    3rd person, and (for me at least) I found blocking was
    required much more than it was in MW. Also there is more of a
    platform element to it.

    Main downside was an apparent showstopping bug, where I
    seemed to have done everything required to trigger an event,
    but it wouldn't trigger. I think it was because I'd done
    something out of order somehow. For what it's worth I fully
    intend to go back & play it, but other newer games get in the
    way. In fact I may pick it up again now as I've finished Far
    Cry & nothing else I want is due.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Mike - BSW wrote in news:kdmq70pqa6dbo75g49bl47i6d7im403n14@4ax.com:

    > I've always had Windows complain that Redguard was trying to directly
    > access the file system which was not allowed by NTFS. When running on
    > a FAT32 drive, no such error occured.

    Hmm - you might be right, but it sure sounds strange. It might have to
    do with direct hardware access, but there may be ways around that (VDMS,
    DOSBox etc).

    > But your right, I could be completely wrong. That was more of an
    > observation made at the time. If you have found otherwise, I will
    > happily stand corrected.

    Well, I could be wrong, too. It's just that data on a CD is stored in
    CDFS-format, and as soon as you install, it uses the available file
    system. When data is transferred to RAM, anyway, it doesn't matter
    whether it originates from an FAT32, NTFS or HPFS disk for that matter.
    I don't remember hearing of other games with this specific problem -
    then again, I haven't played Redguard...

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in

    > Mike - BSW wrote in
    >
    >> I've always had Windows complain that Redguard was trying
    >> to directly access the file system which was not allowed
    >> by NTFS. When running on a FAT32 drive, no such error
    >> occured.
    >
    > Hmm - you might be right, but it sure sounds strange. It
    > might have to do with direct hardware access, but there may
    > be ways around that (VDMS, DOSBox etc).
    >
    >> But your right, I could be completely wrong. That was more
    >> of an observation made at the time. If you have found
    >> otherwise, I will happily stand corrected.
    >
    > Well, I could be wrong, too. It's just that data on a CD is
    > stored in CDFS-format, and as soon as you install, it uses
    > the available file system. When data is transferred to RAM,
    > anyway, it doesn't matter whether it originates from an
    > FAT32, NTFS or HPFS disk for that matter. I don't remember
    > hearing of other games with this specific problem - then
    > again, I haven't played Redguard...

    DOS cannot read NTFS filing systems. To install Daggerfall
    you have to have a FAT partition, Redguard being a hybrid
    DOS/Win game may have an issue with NTFS. My experience with
    itunder XP may have been when I had a FAT partition, or it
    may have been no problem as I was using Glidos.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in

    > DOS cannot read NTFS filing systems. To install Daggerfall
    > you have to have a FAT partition,

    You'd better come and tell my Win2K-NTFS system that it can't run DF.
    Because it does... :-)

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    "stepdawn" <stepdawnkat@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > <Mike - BSW> wrote in message
    > > I won't offer an opinion either way on whether it is good or not, as
    > > that would be biased. :)
    > >
    > > You probably know, but just in case, Redguard is an adventure game and
    > > is quite unlike Morrowind (pointing this out since you made the
    > > comparison). If your line of thinking is that Redguard is an RPG like
    > > Morrowind, you would indeed be disappointed.
    > >
    > > Also, please be aware that Redguard is an odd DOS/Windows hybrid. It
    > > uses the Xngine, which is a DOS engine, but uses the Windows Virtual
    > > Memory Manager. XP may be problematic if your drive is formatted as
    > > NTFS.
    > >
    > > It also has only 3dfx Voodoo/2 support and a rather bad software
    > > renderer for everything else. Though you can use a Glide Wrapper, I
    > > believe.
    > >
    > > It might be a bit more trouble than it's worth to you.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike
    > > BSW
    >
    > Thanks so much Mike, for the information. I must confess that I only
    > understood about every third word of the last two paragraphs ; ). Well,
    ok,
    > maybe every other word, but I'll run that stuff past my computer savvy
    > husband so he can translate.
    >
    > If I can get it to work, I'd like to play it. Pure adventure is fine.
    >
    > Dawn

    Getting the game to run well in XP may require the $10 investment in the
    Glidos glide wrapper. DgVoodoo (another glide wrapper) under XP runs
    slowly, although I haven't tried the newest release (1.21).

    It's kind of ironic that I'm struggling to get these wrappers to work when I
    have a perfectly good Voodoo 3 card in another machine that doesn't seem to
    like Redguard (the textures get corrupted).

    -Scott Roper
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    On 15 Apr 2004 04:20:26 GMT, Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Well, I could be wrong, too. It's just that data on a CD is stored in
    >CDFS-format, and as soon as you install, it uses the available file
    >system. When data is transferred to RAM, anyway, it doesn't matter
    >whether it originates from an FAT32, NTFS or HPFS disk for that matter.
    >I don't remember hearing of other games with this specific problem -
    >then again, I haven't played Redguard...

    It appears to be something unique to Redguard, as it is the only
    product of ours that does this. Win2K/XP won't complain for Arena or
    Daggerfall on NTFS, but Redguard will start briefly, and then focus
    will be switched back to Windows with this error msg:

    "Redguard Game
    An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which
    cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function
    incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

    You have the option to ignore as well, but Redguard quickly dies.

    Just another one of Redguard's "interesting quirks", I guess. :)

    --
    Mike
    BSW

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:30:57 -0400, "Scott Roper"
    <digitalfenceIGNORETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Getting the game to run well in XP may require the $10 investment in the
    >Glidos glide wrapper. DgVoodoo (another glide wrapper) under XP runs
    >slowly, although I haven't tried the newest release (1.21).
    >
    >It's kind of ironic that I'm struggling to get these wrappers to work when I
    >have a perfectly good Voodoo 3 card in another machine that doesn't seem to
    >like Redguard (the textures get corrupted).

    It's been awhile...but I think you need the DOS glide driver
    (glide2x.ovl?) from the Voodoo Banshee driver release. Though I can't
    recall if it needed to come from a specific release or not.

    The Voodoo 3 driver is not fully compatible with the Xngine.

    But, if you want to try, see if you can find a site that has some
    Banshee drivers. Extract the drivers (but do not install!) and copy
    the glide*.* files into the Redguard installation folder.

    This trick worked a few years ago, at least.

    --
    Mike
    BSW

    > Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> DOS cannot read NTFS filing systems. To install Daggerfall
    >> you have to have a FAT partition,
    >
    > You'd better come and tell my Win2K-NTFS system that it
    > can't run DF. Because it does... :-)

    Hmm, must be something different within Duke to DF, this is
    the farsical route to getting DF to work on WinXP. (Although
    I notice there is some installer patch now available).

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?B23B15808

    If you boot to DOS using the bootdisk without a FAT partition
    & try to install it just doesn't believe you have any hard
    drives at all. Most of the reading I did round the time
    seemed to be of the opinion DOS & NTFS don't mix.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    > drives at all. Most of the reading I did round the time
    > seemed to be of the opinion DOS & NTFS don't mix.

    Well, I also have The Dungeons of Moria (Rogue-like), Word Perfect 5.1
    (the first version with mouse support) and an ancient astrology-program
    (PCA) running on my PC. No problem...

    I'm pretty sure (not 100%, though) the file system has got nothing to do
    with it. A more probable cause might be the architecture of the OS
    (handling of memory, hardware etc.). Anyway you can use wrappers like
    Exult for Ultima 7 or VDMSound, SCUMMVM etc. for other DOS-games.

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Mike - BSW wrote in news:14dt70taj1k86tdk6uphevcumbf15eqv0r@4ax.com:

    > "Redguard Game
    > An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which
    > cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function
    > incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"

    So it's actually down to how WinNT (= Win2K & XP) handles direct hardware
    access, and not which file system is used, right? If you installed Redguard
    under Win2K on a FAT or FAT32 partition, you'd probably get the same error?

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    > Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> drives at all. Most of the reading I did round the time
    >> seemed to be of the opinion DOS & NTFS don't mix.
    >
    > Well, I also have The Dungeons of Moria (Rogue-like)[...]

    I have two questions:
    Have you ever managed to kill the Balrog?
    and
    Moria doesn't come in a 32bit Windows version? I mean, not even
    unofficially?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu> wrote in news:Xns94CCEC3B4B9B8gme6cornelledu@
    132.236.56.8:

    > I have two questions:
    > Have you ever managed to kill the Balrog?

    You're an embarrassing feller, aren't you? Huh? ;-)
    No I didn't... And I've had the game since 1990... :-)

    > Moria doesn't come in a 32bit Windows version? I mean, not even
    > unofficially?

    No - there's a version written for the 386 processor (v. 80386-5-5-2) but
    beware - you need the full 640 KB RAM to be able to play it!...

    The closest to a graphical version would be Mordor - The Depths of
    Denejol. I mirror both on my site. Some might also say Diablo.

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

    <Mike - BSW> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:30:57 -0400, "Scott Roper"
    > <digitalfenceIGNORETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Getting the game to run well in XP may require the $10 investment in the
    > >Glidos glide wrapper. DgVoodoo (another glide wrapper) under XP runs
    > >slowly, although I haven't tried the newest release (1.21).
    > >
    > >It's kind of ironic that I'm struggling to get these wrappers to work
    when I
    > >have a perfectly good Voodoo 3 card in another machine that doesn't seem
    > >like Redguard (the textures get corrupted).
    >

    > It's been awhile...but I think you need the DOS glide driver
    > (glide2x.ovl?) from the Voodoo Banshee driver release. Though I can't
    > recall if it needed to come from a specific release or not.
    >
    > The Voodoo 3 driver is not fully compatible with the Xngine.
    >
    > But, if you want to try, see if you can find a site that has some
    > Banshee drivers. Extract the drivers (but do not install!) and copy
    > the glide*.* files into the Redguard installation folder.
    >
    > This trick worked a few years ago, at least.
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > BSW

    Thanks Mike. I remember seeing something about that, but I didn't know the
    details.

    -Scott Roper

Games Windows XP Video Games