HP laptop - fan running all the time + CPU only at high sp..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
speed,
and also why the fan is running all the time -
11 answers Last reply
More about laptop running time high
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
    : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

    : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
    : speed,
    : and also why the fan is running all the time -

    This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.

    Two common answers:

    1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
    be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.

    2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
    CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
    Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
    anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
    probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
    CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
    > : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    > : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    > : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    > : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
    >
    > : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the
    CPU
    > : speed,
    > : and also why the fan is running all the time -
    >
    > This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
    >
    > Two common answers:
    >
    > 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
    > be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
    >
    > 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
    > CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
    > Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
    > anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
    > probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
    > CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    well - neither one really applies in this case
    #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
    (right click)
    So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
    >> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    >>> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    >>> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    >>> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
    >>
    >>> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering
    >>> the CPU speed,
    >>> and also why the fan is running all the time -
    >>
    >> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
    >>
    >> Two common answers:
    >>
    >> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
    >> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
    >>
    >> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
    >> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
    >> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
    >> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
    >> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
    >> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >> --
    > well - neither one really applies in this case
    > #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    > #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
    > Computer (right click)
    > So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    > even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

    The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
    control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
    increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
    thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
    that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
    not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
    anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
    clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
    control.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
    : well - neither one really applies in this case
    : #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    : #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
    : (right click)

    And it will always be shown running at 2.6GHZ on My Computer,
    regardless of the Power Management settings.

    : So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    : even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    : http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

    Doubt that's the real problem. My Toshiba 2GHZ Celeron has a fan that
    only occasionally comes on when the computer is on A/C power and running at
    full speed. Mine defaults to full CPU power when on A/C. Your HP
    design could be different, but the CPU should run a lot cooler when
    idling even at 2.6GHZ. Perhaps HP just leaves the fan on all the time?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Quaoar wrote:

    > Phil Schuman wrote:
    >> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message

    >>> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
    >>>
    >>> Two common answers:
    >>>
    >>> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
    >>> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
    >>>
    >>> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
    >>> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
    >>> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
    >>> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
    >>> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
    >>> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
    >>>
    >>> Andrew
    >>> --
    >> well - neither one really applies in this case
    >> #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    >> #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
    >> Computer (right click)
    >> So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    >> even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    >> http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt
    >
    > The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
    > control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
    > increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
    > thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
    > that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
    > not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
    > anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
    > clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
    > control.

    you need an AMD processor if you want throttling ,baby!!

    --redpill
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    > and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    > It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    > which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
    >
    > Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
    > speed,
    > and also why the fan is running all the time -

    I don't have anything faster than a 600 Celeron laptop, so YMMV.
    I gave up trying to get laptop power management to work.
    I always turn it off in the BIOS and the OS.
    I run a program called CPU cooler that halts the processor periodically
    when it's in the idle loop. Makes a significant reduction in
    temperature. Even tho the monitor shows CPU usage at 100% it's mostly
    executing the halt instruction...I think.

    If you've got a better solution, by all means use it. For me, this has
    worked better than letting the BIOS and OS fight over who has power control.

    Now if I could just figger out how to get suspend to work reliably;-(
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

    > In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough that the
    > fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of them.

    My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
    occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
    case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
    of uptime.

    --
    Stefaan
    --

    Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
    > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
    >
    >> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
    >> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
    >> them.
    >
    > My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
    > occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
    > case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
    > of uptime.
    >
    > --
    > Stefaan

    Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:57:40 -0600
    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

    > Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > > On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
    > >> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
    > >> them.
    > >
    > > My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
    > > occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
    > > case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
    > > of uptime.
    > Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

    It has the air intake above the keyboard, and when idle,
    the fan only kicks in every 10 minutes. Obviously, when
    going flat-out, it comes on more often, but it's never
    permanently on. It's a neat notebook (even though about
    1.5 years old) that wasn't expensive for its specifications
    (512MB RAM, 30GB disk, P4 2.5GHz, combined CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    and 15" XVGA for 1098 Euro, bought Christmas 2003).

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan
    --
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning,
    and meaningful statements lose precision. -- Lotfi Zadeh
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    > and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    > It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    > which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
    >
    > Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
    > speed,
    > and also why the fan is running all the time -

    Interesting. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook running at 1.6 GHz, and
    have had two hard drives destroyed, probably due to heat. I finally got
    a "cool pad" for the notebook. This plugs into a USB port, and has two
    fans to help cool the notebook. I've heard good reviews. Apparently
    overheating is fairly common with HP notebooks.

    Cool pads can be obtained for anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on
    the bells and whistles.

    I Am having the opposite problem with my HP Pavilion Ze5500.
    When i right click my computer > properties, it says its only
    running at 1.6GHz instead of 2.66
    I cannot find any settings in the bios to change any of this, and its
    irritating me by making my audio jump.
    I did have some processes pegging my CPU Usage at 100% which i have
    sorted so the laptop runs better, but still jumpy audio and running
    at 1.6GHz.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    David

Hewlett Packard Laptops Fan HP Laptop Computers