HP laptop - fan running all the time + CPU only at high sp..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
speed,
and also why the fan is running all the time -

Andrew

In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
: A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
: and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
: It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
: which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

: Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
: speed,
: and also why the fan is running all the time -

This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.

Two common answers:

1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.

2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
> : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the
CPU
> : speed,
> : and also why the fan is running all the time -
>
> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>
> Two common answers:
>
> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>
> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>
> Andrew
> --
well - neither one really applies in this case
#1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
#2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
(right click)
So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

Phil Schuman wrote:
> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
>> In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com>
>> wrote:
>>> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
>>> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
>>> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
>>> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>>
>>> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering
>>> the CPU speed,
>>> and also why the fan is running all the time -
>>
>> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>>
>> Two common answers:
>>
>> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
>> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>>
>> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
>> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
>> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
>> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
>> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
>> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>>
>> Andrew
>> --
> well - neither one really applies in this case
> #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
> #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
> Computer (right click)
> So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
> even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
> http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
control.

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
: well - neither one really applies in this case
: #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
: #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
: (right click)

And it will always be shown running at 2.6GHZ on My Computer,
regardless of the Power Management settings.

: So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
: even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
: http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

Doubt that's the real problem. My Toshiba 2GHZ Celeron has a fan that
only occasionally comes on when the computer is on A/C power and running at
full speed. Mine defaults to full CPU power when on A/C. Your HP
design could be different, but the CPU should run a lot cooler when
idling even at 2.6GHZ. Perhaps HP just leaves the fan on all the time?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Quaoar wrote:

> Phil Schuman wrote:
>> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message

>>> This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.
>>>
>>> Two common answers:
>>>
>>> 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs
>>> be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.
>>>
>>> 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
>>> CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
>>> Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
>>> anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
>>> probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
>>> CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>> --
>> well - neither one really applies in this case
>> #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
>> #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My
>> Computer (right click)
>> So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
>> even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt
>
> The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
> control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
> increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
> thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
> that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
> not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
> anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
> clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
> control.

you need an AMD processor if you want throttling ,baby!!

--redpill

Mike

Splendid

Phil Schuman wrote:
> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
> speed,
> and also why the fan is running all the time -

I don't have anything faster than a 600 Celeron laptop, so YMMV.
I gave up trying to get laptop power management to work.
I always turn it off in the BIOS and the OS.
I run a program called CPU cooler that halts the processor periodically
when it's in the idle loop. Makes a significant reduction in
temperature. Even tho the monitor shows CPU usage at 100% it's mostly
executing the halt instruction...I think.

If you've got a better solution, by all means use it. For me, this has
worked better than letting the BIOS and OS fight over who has power control.

Now if I could just figger out how to get suspend to work reliably;-(
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough that the
> fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of them.

My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
of uptime.

--
Stefaan
--

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
>
>> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
>> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
>> them.
>
> My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
> occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
> case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
> of uptime.
>
> --
> Stefaan

Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:57:40 -0600
"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

> Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2005 02:38:36 -0600
> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
> >
> >> In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4 that runs cool enough
> >> that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've not seen all of
> >> them.
> >
> > My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
> > occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
> > case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
> > of uptime.
> Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

It has the air intake above the keyboard, and when idle,
the fan only kicks in every 10 minutes. Obviously, when
going flat-out, it comes on more often, but it's never
permanently on. It's a neat notebook (even though about
1.5 years old) that wasn't expensive for its specifications
(512MB RAM, 30GB disk, P4 2.5GHz, combined CD-RW/DVD-ROM
and 15" XVGA for 1098 Euro, bought Christmas 2003).

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--

Phil Schuman wrote:
> A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
> and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
> It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
> which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...
>
> Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
> speed,
> and also why the fan is running all the time -

Interesting. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook running at 1.6 GHz, and
have had two hard drives destroyed, probably due to heat. I finally got
a "cool pad" for the notebook. This plugs into a USB port, and has two
fans to help cool the notebook. I've heard good reviews. Apparently
overheating is fairly common with HP notebooks.

Cool pads can be obtained for anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on
the bells and whistles.

I Am having the opposite problem with my HP Pavilion Ze5500.
When i right click my computer > properties, it says its only
running at 1.6GHz instead of 2.66
I cannot find any settings in the bios to change any of this, and its
irritating me by making my audio jump.
I did have some processes pegging my CPU Usage at 100% which i have
sorted so the laptop runs better, but still jumpy audio and running
at 1.6GHz.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
David