ATA hard drives shows up as a Removable Storage in

Status
Not open for further replies.

moochu

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2005
have a Maxtor SATA 200 gig hardrive running windows XP. The hardrive always shows up as a Removable Drive. How can i get it to be a standard drives instead of a removable hardrive?

Moochu

Computer Spec:
CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 3200
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-K8NS 939
Ram: 1Gig DDR 400
Harddrive: Maxtor Sata 200Gig

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
sata by design is hot swapable, that makes it removable. may be a way to change that in drive settings or somthing somewhere in the control panel. device manager/drives i think

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It might be that write caching is disabled.
Right click on my computer, go to properties
go to hardware, device manager
find your hard drive in the list, right click on it, and go to properties
go to policies
make sure "enable write caching on disk" is checked

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Its normal for SATA drives to show up as being removeable because they are hotswapable.

No way to change this (at least not on my SP2 on NF2 & NF4 MBs), but there is nothing to worry about either.

They don't default to the "optomize for performance" setting rather than "optimize for quick removal".

Also if you are running your OS from the drive or if the drive is in actual use, it won't let you remove it.

If my some chance you accidentally stoped a drive using the safely remove hardware wizard you can just unplug and replug the SATA cable.

You can also just uplug the data and power cables and insert another drive or move the drive to another SATA system without rebooting, although I don't like the idea or messing with the power connectors while the system is on.

Better to use a cheap enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.