How to fix fallout 3 new game crash

never had any stability issues with fallout 3. really never had a crash or corrupt save.
yes it can be finicky on what hardware it runs on but on mine it works great.
also on my old amd 6000x2 8800gt setup.
just make sure your direct x is up to date as well as your drivers.
if and when the game crashes go into control pannel/admintools/eventviewer and look for the error pertaining to the game.
post it here if you cant find the answer to it yourself.

Kef

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Fallout 3 has a well known problem with crashing on modern multi core systems,

if you go over to the elder scrolls forums, there used to be a topic describing how to tell the software only to use two cores
(this solved all my problems that started when I upgraded from an old 3800X2 to an i7)
KEF

Bratushka

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I was playing Fallout 3, just the regular version- not Game of the Year as some have claimed this 1.7 patch only affects. I had probably 20+ hours playtime with no crashes, freezes, or any problems at all. I bought the Broken Steel/Point Lookout and The Pitt/Operation: Anchorage add ons where I read that the original game needs updated to version 1.6 to play them.

I found 1.7 and tried to install it several times. A few times I got an error message before the patch installed saying that Fallout 3 had stopped responding. I saw the game apparently trying to launch a few times and was never able to stop it. If the message appears saying FO3 has stopped responding there is no way in Task Manager to close Fallout as long as that message is up. Close the warning and the whole process stops. Every time the game would not launch afterwards. I would get the launch screen, click play and then it went to a black screen, the circular loading icon would appear and then freeze after which the message about FO3 has stopped responding appears.

I finally just uninstalled/re-installed the game. I found patch 1.6 online (I found it was also included on the Broken Steel/Point Lookout DVD) and after installing the patch, FO3 launched and played OK. I did get a warning saying some saved games may not play correctly, etc. but it picked back up where I left off. So far, it seems to run OK.

I read about this problem and there are many solutions claiming to fix it. The thing is none seem entirely correct or based on bad info such as this only applies to the Game of the Year Edition, using edits from a different game, or just plain reaching for an explanation. In fact, the Games for Windows Live causing issues was/is the only fix I ever found that solved 99.99% of the problems I had with this game. At least it did with my old Pentium 4/Windows XP SP3 machine. I played the game through 4 times using different tactics and playing with different characteristics with my character.

Presently, I am playing it on the PC described below:

Intel Core i7 980X 6 core 3.33 GHz processor w/liquid cooling
eVGA SLI3 motherboard
24 GB 1600 DDR3 RAM
2 eVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Black Ops video cards w/1536 MB memory each in SLI config
160 GB SSD primary drive
1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda secondary drive
Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Champion Fatal1ty sound card w/ I/O panel
Cooler Master 1250 watt power supply
LG Super Multi Blu-Ray burner
SATA 24X DVD dual layer R/W burner
Cooler Master HAF ATX full tower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system w/ all up graded surround satellites

I'm still hoping that I can find a solution to the problem with the 1.7 patch. I am considering registering the game with Steam because I have about 6 games installed on my PC that I got incompatibility issue error messages when I tried to install from CDs/DVDs but Steam's version installed and worked fine. I'm not sure if they will auto-update a game I didn't buy from them. Either way, if via Steam or I find a real solution elsewhere that works I will post back.

If someone finds something that actually works and is a for-sure fix, please share.

Bratushka

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

I have over 50 games installed on my PC and every one is patched to the latest release. I have seldom ever had problems of any type with patches so this was a true rarity.

I have another 25 or so games in my Steam library which are auto patched and never had a problem with any except Test Drive Uunlimited 2 which is flaky right from the start and needs a patch or two to fix it. Even the highly unstable STALKER: Clear Sky worked good for me after it was patched.

I use an updater service to keep all my various hardware drivers updated and patched as well as my OS. The last patch I recall having issues with, and even those were minor, was back 3 or more years ago when MS released a bugged update for XP.

I probably should investigate patches before installing them more than I do but I figure the intent of a patch is to fix a bug and/or improve or enhance some aspect of game (or any software's) performance and stability. I don't have any problem with that although I know there are many who take "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" very seriously.

Anyway, i appreciate the advice and you taking time to offer it. :sol:

its well known that patches often fix problems but introduce new 1s. stalker for instance wasn't truly stable till it was patched to 1.6 and 1.3 actualy made the game more unstable.
same thing with masseffect, fallout 3 and gears of war. people who were not affected but system crashes on the games release found there games crashing after the so called stability patch which was brought out to help others who's systems were crashing every time they tried to play.
i do agree you should always patch your games to the latest version but sometimes you will have to uninstall it because it isnt quite working the way it should.
then you have the dlc some games like eldar scolls oblivion only work if certain patches are installed. but can often stop working properly when new dlc is applied
or if you install the dlc in the wrong order... knights of the nine and shivering iles spring to mind... they wont actually allow you to play certain missions if you have both installed.

just keep an open mind as far as patching is concerned. and yeah if it aint broke dont fix it can be a mantra, but that wont fix balancing issues ;)

Bratushka

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

I've been pretty lucky and not had problems many had with games. I tend to stay with shooters, flight and driving sims, and the like. I did like some hybrids such as Company of Heroes and the Fall Out series. I do have Mass Effect which i guess is technically an RPG with shooter qualities although I haven't started it. I enjoy those types of games where there is thinking and solving things as well as tactical actions. I dislike the resource gathering aspect of some games. Even with games like Fallout and the STALKER series I'll mod the carry weights so I can make fewer trips to the traders to raise the cash for weapons, ammo, and armor. I liked the half-Life series, too but thought they went overboard with the ant lion enemies. A little was fine since the Citadel was the main force to oppose but I guess swarming bugs is easier to script than "human" enemy AI. I also didn't like Freeman playing a lesser role. My favorite game is Over Flanders Fields, a superb WWI sim, which is a mod that installs over MS Combat Flight Simulator 3. It plugged the WWI flight sim hole Red Baron 3D with the Full Canvas Jacket Super patch left after Wimdows 98 went away. I never could get DOSBox to work quite right.

I have a number of the games you mentioned. Some I've played and some are being played. Others are waiting. Again, I haven't had any issues with the ones i have used. I did have a few issues with FO3 on my old Pentium 4/Windows XP PC but after installing the utility that removed the GFWL I never had much trouble after. I think PC gamers tend to forget that there is no other software that can render hardware obsolete at worst or dated at best as games. Game publishers have to push the envelope for better graphics and more immersive gameplay to keep gamers interested and it's easy to lose sight how quickly hardware can be superceded. My PC is less than 3 months old. While it was being built a faster version of the GeForce GTX 580 came out and I upgraded over what I had ordered when the PC builder contacted me about it. Since them it has been upgraded twice more. And motherboard manufacturers will eventually create a board with a fast enough bus to make use of the speed of the new video cards rather than the workarounds all curently use. So there will go my motherboard to the "dated hardware" pile. Sometimes it drives me nuts but it's why I stay with it. I love experiencing the boundaries being pushed back.

It sounds like we probably from the same era. I started working with computers in the early 1980s/late 1970s. I was an electronics tech and field service engineer for my 30+ year career until I retired. The first computers I worked on were naked minis -all TTL, no microprocessor- with 8K core memory. I used and repaired ASR 33 teletypes/tape readers which were input devices. Later came 8" floppy drives, cassette decks, and Lear Seigler ADM3 dumb terminals. I programmed in machine language, some Excess 3 and gray code, eased 6800 machine language and other weird stuff. I actually remember LS and ALS TTL coming in and computer makers stacking Z-80s/8080s to fake 16 bit bus architecture. I remember the pride and joy of my repair lab being a 150 MB 16 platter Winchester drive. I remember XTs, TRS-80s and other ancient stuff that seem so rocket sciency back then. I remember some games that were all text based and later some on 5" floppy like Leisure Suit Larry, Mean 18 Golf, the "green shape" Asteroids, early Tetris and a few sorta adult themed games. back then I couldn't have imagined the computer I'm typing this on much less believing anyone could ever own such a beast. And modern super graphic quality games of today? I thought someday but never imagined them in my lifetime. It sure gives one an interesting perspective when you can actually recall when there wasn't such a thing a PC gaming or home computing.

TRENDING THREADS