Question about areas where 2 bands are used by Verizon...

zeno

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

With Verizon buying the former Qwest network, it says the 1900 Mhz PCS
additional bands will be used to expand capacity in areas where Verizon
already has coverage....

how will this work in areas that will now have 2 bands? How would the
phone know what band has space for a call??

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:16:17 GMT, zeno <zeno1234@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>With Verizon buying the former Qwest network, it says the 1900 Mhz PCS
>additional bands will be used to expand capacity in areas where Verizon
>already has coverage....
>
>how will this work in areas that will now have 2 bands? How would the
>phone know what band has space for a call??

The same way it treats roaming onto those towers now. I'd imagine
those towers will now share the same SID, so it won't care which
signal it finds.

In article <157en0p80o7180rv3ptb7uuqd1o5698fec@4ax.com>,
The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:16:17 GMT, zeno <zeno1234@mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>
>>With Verizon buying the former Qwest network, it says the 1900 Mhz PCS
>>additional bands will be used to expand capacity in areas where Verizon
>>already has coverage....
>>
>>how will this work in areas that will now have 2 bands? How would the
>>phone know what band has space for a call??
>
>The same way it treats roaming onto those towers now. I'd imagine
>those towers will now share the same SID, so it won't care which
>signal it finds.

The PRL specifies the search order, so they can set the preference there.
Also, once a "pilot" signal is acquired, the system can redirect the
phone to the other band on the fly.