BF and MoH keep crashing on me

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Well I've had this issue for awhile now. It seems like every Battlefield game and Medal of Honor MP crashes on me. The screen freezes and theres a constant noise, it sounds like a buzzing noise or when an amp was just plugged in. At first I thought it was just because I had an overclock so i reset all of my overclocks and that didn't help at all. It doesn't happen right away, it happens about 15 minutes in. I run an i5-760 and dual sli GTX 470's. Even when I only had 1 470 i still had this issue but never thought much of it. I can run games like Crysis 2, Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, F.E.A.R. 2, Bioshock, Portal 2, TF2, etc. without an issue. It just seems to be the battlefield series and what runs on the Frostbite engine. If anyone has experienced this and knows what the issue is and/or may know how to fix it I would appreciate your help.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Question, are you playing BFBC2? I've had white screen issues, crashing sound loops etc.

You can fix some of theses, maybe all, but i'm still having a issue with it, with random crashes.

Got to documents/BFBC2/ settings and open it up. Its will be a txt file, look for where it says DirectX= and take out the 9 and change it to something else 10 or 11. Note- Reboot your rig when you do this, like really really really important that you do that. Then try the game, always reboot after entering anything in the settings files.

Try turning off your onboard sounds (this fixes the white screen issue)

But even after all that, its still crashed on me, i have no clue whats wrong with it.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

put sound on high, turned off bloom effect turned off some other stuff and it hasn't crashed.....yet.

About to reinstall punk buster.

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Went to antec.com and did the psu calculator i cant remember if i have a 650 or 700 watt psu but it says i should have at least 609 but it can vary a lot so maybe i have too little wattage?

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
No. Wattage is not the issue, i've pushed heaver games with no problem (Far Cry 2, Crysis etc).

The setting i changed it to have fixed my crash issue. I ended up fixing my white screen issue by turning off my on board sound and using my sound card. That was like 2 days ago and even after then, it wouldn't give me a white screen it would just crash and restart my rig. Then i found some site that said to change some of the settings, i did and not crash, not white screen. So far so good.

Really hope EA and DICE don't have this *** for BF3, cause that would really make me pissed, thats just an amazing looking game (imho it looks better then Crysis 1 did) my jaws are still on the floor and i'm hoping that all is well at launch and beyond. I don't like playing my games on half settings. I maxed it out, but with Bloom and HSAO off it looks kinda fungly and i don't want that with BF3.

I'm only really ok with this because i have BFBC2 on PS3 and have like 450 hours on it and wanted to get back into BF on PC for BF3. I won't be so "okay" with this if this so happens to BF3.

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Well i discovered my issue is just lack of power all though I don't understand why it'll crash during bfbc2 and not crysis 1. Yes I do agree that BF3 looks better than crysis 1. I'm really hoping Crysis 2 looks nice when it finally gets in DX11 patch. If it ever does. I have BFBC2 for 360 and logged a couple hundred hours on it too. I went back to PC because I got it on sale last christmas. I'm shocked at how much better I am with a keyboard and mouse than I am with a controller. Well wish DICE and EA good luck at BF3. Don't mess it up for us.

Raccoon Goon

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Agreed. I love the controller, but Keyboard and mouse gets the job done just so much faster. Took me about 10 hours to get back to do well at it, but it was worth it.

My BFBC2 ID is EDMIX and my Steam name is EDMIX_the_SHOGUN. add me!

bfbc2 will max out your gpu to 97%+ constantly the chances are your psu was straining under the load. the reason why crysis didnt cause it to collapse is that although it does have very high detail the gpu rarely goes over 80% usage. which it seems your psu was able to cope with.

it may go higher but it averages out at about 80% while bfbc2 will use 97% average. especially on dx11 cards. crysis is a dx10 game so isnt as demanding over all even though it uses a lot of nice effects.
it doesnt use hsao for instance which is a very demanding ask from a gpu. so even though battlefield may not look as nice it can still be more demanding on the gpu