Problems setting up my A7M266

G

I'm hoping I have done or missed something really simple here, it's starting to drive me mad.

I just had delivered my,

ASUS A7M226 mobo
AMD TD 1.3 (266Mhz)
1x 128mb PC2100 DDR-SDRAM (Samsung I think)

When I power on the system I am getting no beeps what so ever. The system power light comes on. I have an old Voodoo3 PCI plugged in just to get it all installed but I am getting no display either. I have tested the speaker so I know I am not missing any 'vital' POST beeps.

My concerns are with the modo jumpers. This mobo has jumper free mode, is it ok to use this feature with the components I have? The TD and the DDR? Or maybe I have to use jumper mode?

I took it down to just Processor, Memory, Fdisk, and the Voodoo but it is the same. I tried different sockets for the Voodoo and an older SVGA display and still the same.

Anyone else use this board and processor and had similar problem, or can offer advice on what to try next?

Thanks an advance

Mylex

G

Strange...

I have a similar setup and had no problems...

Try removing your graphicscard as well, it should beep on long och three short. If it doesn't then I bet it's a jumper problem.

NOTE that the manual is wrong when stating the default settings for VIO/VIO1. They should be 2.8/3.45 and nothing else... (I've confirmed this with ASUS support)

Regards!

Joacim Boive

AMD TBIRD 1.33
Asus A7M266
Vapochill
nVida Geoforce3
Apacer 256MB DDR266
Seagate X15

G

I spotted those VIO settings, the board came with them set at 2.8/3.45, but sticking to the manual I set them to the defaults. Now I have set them back, still the same, nothing!

I think I have bad part here, must be the modo. I don't have any other AMD chips or boards to start swapping bits around so I guess I'll have to contact my reseller :(

Out of interest, is yours set in Jumper Free mode?

Thx for your help...

Mylex

G

Yep, I'm using jumperless mode.

Have you tried without the videocard to see if you can get it to beep at all? Try removing your memory as well...

Double check your speaker connection so you haven't just placed it on the wrong pins...

Good Luck!

/J

AMD TBIRD 1.33
Asus A7M266
Vapochill
nVida Geoforce3
Apacer 256MB DDR266
Seagate X15

G

Well, its in the post back to them, mobo, chip and memory:(

Once I get the replacements I'll know it should be nice and easy to set up, and the 'jumper free' mode will work.

I may be calling again!

Cheers