Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Why don't PC's use a nunchuk like controller instead of WASD ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 11, 2011 9:14:37 PM

I totally understand why people think that a mouse is much better than a right thumbstick, it's more accurate, but isn't there a standard for using some type of Nintendo Wii like Nunchuk thing for the left thumbstick, instead of using WASD. WASD just seems so unnatural to me. Of course, I'm a console gamer that is coming to the PC for the first time in 10 or 11 years. Back when I was playing on the PC (1996 thru 1999), I had to use the arrow keys for movement in first person shooters, but that was before the whole dual thumbstick thing started to become popular.

Using the mouse in my right hand, and using a thumbstick in the left hand would seem the most ideal way to control my character in a first person game. Am I crazy?
May 11, 2011 9:20:57 PM

LarryJones1 said:
Am I crazy?


Yes. But not totally insane, just alittle crazy. You may like it but millions world wide, myself included are not going to buy controller when we already have a keyboard. Not to mention, how to hit all the keys needed for say an MMO where you can have dozens of macros. Drop the nunchuk, hit the key and then pick up the nunchuk? The nunchucks work great for simple games on the Wii, but not practical for PC.
May 11, 2011 10:09:49 PM

Trialsking said:
Yes. But not totally insane, just alittle crazy. You may like it but millions world wide, myself included are not going to buy controller when we already have a keyboard. Not to mention, how to hit all the keys needed for say an MMO where you can have dozens of macros. Drop the nunchuk, hit the key and then pick up the nunchuk? The nunchucks work great for simple games on the Wii, but not practical for PC.


Well, obviously it wouldn't work for all genres. I'm talking more specifically about first person shooters. It's just that PC gamers always tout the superiority of the keyboard/mouse combo, but to me, it's like they are really talking about the superiority of the mouse look over a right thumbstick. I agree that mouse look is going to be many times more accurate than a right thumbstick. PC games don't need aim assist like console games do, because the mouse is so much more accurate, and I have no disagreements with this.

But in terms of character movement, there has to be something better than using WASD. You said that you're not going to drop the nunchuk and then kit a key, and then pick up the nunchuk again, etc, etc. I understand your point, but couldn't a left thumbstick simply be built onto keyboards themselves, and basically become a standard?

Or maybe keyboards could have a latch on the left side, where you attatch the nunchuk control to the side of the keyboard, and just snap it in place. You use the mouse as your right thumbstick and the nunchuk thing as your left thumbstick. It might seem kinda awkward at first, but I'm guessing that once people got used to it, they would wonder how the heck they dealt with WASD for all those years.
Related resources
May 11, 2011 10:28:55 PM

LarryJones1 said:
Well, obviously it wouldn't work for all genres. I'm talking more specifically about first person shooters. It's just that PC gamers always tout the superiority of the keyboard/mouse combo, but to me, it's like they are really talking about the superiority of the mouse look over a right thumbstick. I agree that mouse look is going to be many times more accurate than a right thumbstick. PC games don't need aim assist like console games do, because the mouse is so much more accurate, and I have no disagreements with this.

But in terms of character movement, there has to be something better than using WASD. You said that you're not going to drop the nunchuk and then kit a key, and then pick up the nunchuk again, etc, etc. I understand your point, but couldn't a left thumbstick simply be built onto keyboards themselves, and basically become a standard?

Or maybe keyboards could have a latch on the left side, where you attatch the nunchuk control to the side of the keyboard, and just snap it in place. You use the mouse as your right thumbstick and the nunchuk thing as your left thumbstick. It might seem kinda awkward at first, but I'm guessing that once people got used to it, they would wonder how the heck they dealt with WASD for all those years.


This I can get behind. They should start making gaming keyboards with an expandable slot on the left side of the keyboard (of course, if your left handed it would be the other way around) where you could play with the nunchuck while its in the slot or you could take it out of the slot and play.

maybe put a couple buttons on the nunchuck sort of like the wii nunchuck is and you'd be set for an fps.

Quote:
Not to mention, how to hit all the keys needed for say an MMO where you can have dozens of macros. Drop the nunchuk, hit the key and then pick up the nunchuk? The nunchucks work great for simple games on the Wii, but not practical for PC.
I personally think that most mmos would play better with a standard console controller instead of a keyboard. d-pad is perfect for all those hotkeys, analog stick for movement,etc.

im not much of an mmo gamer though, so i wouldnt really know.
May 12, 2011 4:01:29 PM

LarryJones1 said:
Well, obviously it wouldn't work for all genres. I'm talking more specifically about first person shooters. It's just that PC gamers always tout the superiority of the keyboard/mouse combo, but to me, it's like they are really talking about the superiority of the mouse look over a right thumbstick. I agree that mouse look is going to be many times more accurate than a right thumbstick. PC games don't need aim assist like console games do, because the mouse is so much more accurate, and I have no disagreements with this.

But in terms of character movement, there has to be something better than using WASD. You said that you're not going to drop the nunchuk and then kit a key, and then pick up the nunchuk again, etc, etc. I understand your point, but couldn't a left thumbstick simply be built onto keyboards themselves, and basically become a standard?

Or maybe keyboards could have a latch on the left side, where you attatch the nunchuk control to the side of the keyboard, and just snap it in place. You use the mouse as your right thumbstick and the nunchuk thing as your left thumbstick. It might seem kinda awkward at first, but I'm guessing that once people got used to it, they would wonder how the heck they dealt with WASD for all those years.


The superiority of keyboard over nunchuk comes from this simple math: how many buttons you got on nunchuck? depending on number of axis it supports 4-16, maybe extra 2 on the sides. keyboard? 100. obviously you not using all 100 while gaming with wasd setup, but advantage of keyboard is not just wasd, but the proximity of extra 20-30 buttons to the said wasd. Those "extra" buttons are essential for quick and effective gameplay.

Even in an FPS that you claim you only need nunchuk for. How are you going to crouch, jump, switch weapons, reload, open doors, switch from run-walk with just a thumbstick in your hand?

yes, there are mouses with 10 buttons, so you can move those functions to the mouse, but then who are you really helping? moving button responsibility from one hand to another. mouse hand is already got enough work to do.

So to sum your topic up, the primarily reasons keyboard + mouse is considered superior to console joypads:
1. mouse is more precise than right thumbstick
2. keyboard got more buttons than joypad as a whole, even if it lacks analog response


And to answer the MMO gamer, if you only using your keyboard for WASD and rest of your functions are moved to mouse, that is a very inefficient and slow gameplay style and there's absolutely no need to purchase a thumb stick just to replace 4 buttons on a keyboard you already own.

I'll give you an example of my experience with MMO, I used to play Ragnarok Online. If you're not familiar, mouse was used to interact with the targeting + movement. Keyboard was set up the following way: rows Q-], A-' and Z-/ were used as hotkeys for spells, equipment and items usage. Plus if you needed to open inventory, status window, etc there were keyboard shortcuts for that, instead of clicking HUD with a mouse.

So just because your MMO experience hasn't been very requiring of the keyboard function, do not belittle the advantage of having one.
May 12, 2011 6:42:10 PM

haha I like this guy, instead of thinking "what if" he approaches the problem with "how do I"
May 12, 2011 8:09:36 PM

LOL, thanks AntiZig!!
May 20, 2011 11:37:24 PM

wow that looks slick
June 26, 2011 1:30:39 AM

The nunchuk can have L1 and L2 buttons like a ps3 controller which can be used to reload and switch weapons. You can switch from walking to running by pressing down on the analog stick and the other 3 barely used functions can be on the mouse.
August 20, 2011 12:39:17 AM

LarryJones1 said:
I totally understand why people think that a mouse is much better than a right thumbstick, it's more accurate, but isn't there a standard for using some type of Nintendo Wii like Nunchuk thing for the left thumbstick, instead of using WASD. WASD just seems so unnatural to me. Of course, I'm a console gamer that is coming to the PC for the first time in 10 or 11 years. Back when I was playing on the PC (1996 thru 1999), I had to use the arrow keys for movement in first person shooters, but that was before the whole dual thumbstick thing started to become popular.

Using the mouse in my right hand, and using a thumbstick in the left hand would seem the most ideal way to control my character in a first person game. Am I crazy?


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

there its a LTS and hotkeys all in one.
August 22, 2011 12:20:31 PM

Most modern games use more than just the ASWD keys for the left hand. F=Flashlight, G = Grenade, left shift = Sprint, Left ctrl = crouch, and so on. It wouldn't be as easy on a nunchuck.
August 22, 2011 3:38:21 PM

Simple solution: Joystick + Logitech G15.

Point being, you don't even need a keyboard, if you don't want to use one.
!