Antistatic Gloves...Check it out!

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So I did a search at www.google.com for "Antistatic Gloves" and a whole butt load came back. Some of them are as cheap as the antistaic wrist band and some come in sets of disposables.

I thought about it and decided to order myself a pair. My biggest concern has been that everone states to properly use your antistatic wrist band your power supply must be plugged in (and then you attach the clip to the power supply housing). Okay why the concern. Well, many additional peripherals state that the power supply should be unplugged or you could damage the peripher or motherboard. Okay...maybe these people who write the manuals are paranoid...then again maybe not. There is much literature that suggests that most of the time a little static won't damange parts but it will contribute to instability. I figure if I am spending $1500 for a top of the line box with all the parts I should take that extra step. Anyhow that is just my $.02.

It worked yesterday! :lol:

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Here, we use antistatic wristbands that connect to a special dedicated lead that goes directly to a dedicated ground.

Our builders and testers also are standing on grounded anti-static mats. Finally, when entering the area, we have a discharge "touch pad" to remove any static build up that you bring with you from outside of the area.

Can you say paranoid?

We've found that a simple anti-static wristband connected to a good ground is really an inexpensive solution that works. Try to avoid standing on carpet regardless. If you are working on your PC a lot, in my mind, there is still no substitute for a good, grounded mat.

Believe it or not, there is a place called Mat Depot that carries a bunch of them (I'm trying not to laugh.)

You can check out their anti-static products on their web site at: http://www.matdepot.com/antistatic.htm

If you buy anything, please let them know who referred you, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll pay me a commission (Okay, now I'm really laughing) In any event, you may get a discount as we've bought a ton of them.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know it sounds paranoid...but really you would be surprised how much scientific information is out there about ESD damaging components. Many times they still work but have instability....I wish I had all that stuff because I would use it....Thanks for the information....If those mats are cheap I might get one....Chris

G

This is a dumb question, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. When I'm using an Anti-static Wrist strap, do I just clip it on a piece of metal? Or what? Thanks, I'm building my first PC and an really parnoid I'm going to damage somethign.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It has to be connected to a grounded piece of metal. Thus what most people do is plug in the power supply and connect to the housing of the power supply. Make the power switch is set to off....Be careful not to stick it into an electrical component within the power supply.....Only issue with this is many hardware people say bad stuff can happen from connecting parts into a plugged in case (even if power is OFF)....

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
To hell with ati static gloves, just stand in bathtub full of water when working with hardware. It works great!

-- tartarhus

Only hasbro has the right to a monopoly.