Lights are on but no ones home...

G

OK I fried a mobo, and got a new one, got it in and everything powers up the lights are on and everything, but they just stay on, nothing changes on my screen, the switch in front doesn't work, any ideas?
K7T Pro2-A ATX VA mobo
9000athalon processor, 128ram

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lucaricious on 04/25/01 01:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Anyone else notice that half the people whose systems don't boot can't spell Athlon?

Sorry, don't take it personally Lucaricious, I was going to post that the next time I saw it.

One thing that comes to mind to check is the voltage setting on your power supply. It should be ~120V for the United States, and ~240V in the rest of the world. If that's wrong, things will look powered up but quite literally only the lights will work on the wrong power setting.

G

I've tried on both settings, on 120 the motherboard seems to get about 3 seconds of power then shuts down again, so I tried the 240, now the fan on the ps and the cpu turn and all the lights go on. Now I had my cpu installed by a tech and teh diagnostic lights on the mobo are all red which according to the manual means teh cpu is not properly installed and yet it should be......

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lucaricious on 04/24/01 08:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I stand by my advice on the power supply. The voltage switch just tells the power supply what type of electricity is coming out of the wall outlet. So do set it correctly for your location. There is no point in trying the opposite.

From what you describe, 120V is correct but the mobo is detecting either an overheating CPU due to improperly installed heat sink and quickly shuts itself down or a non-existant fan for the CPU which would lead to eventual overheating. On many mobos, it is very important that the CPU fan is in the correct fan connector or the board will refuse to boot. It's also possible for your mobo to think your fan is too slow and will not work. This happened with the fans on the Silverado heatsink which can run well under 3000rpm. It required a BIOS update to disable the minimum fan speed setting. The funniest part of the situation was that the user had to install a different heatsink/fan just long enough to get a DOS prompt and flash the BIOS before switching to the Silverado. I don't remember which board this was but you can find out by searching through these forums.

G

I saw a link to a faq about my prob and going therough the things to check I got to clearing the cmos, so doing as my mobo manual said I unplugged the comp and switching teh jumper to the clear setting, let it sit a few min then set it back and replugged in my comp. Now it seems like there is no power at all going to my sys. This is basically what happened to my last mobo but I thought I had fried it with bad installation so this current mobo I had installed by the place I bought it. They had said I fried my last one, so I bought a enw one from them and paid for them to install it. So I guess its kinda 2 questions now, is my cmos screwing something up from when I cleared it (exactly how the manual said to) , is it fixable and 3 is the comp store I'm going to takeing me for a ride?