Buying "used" PC games on Ebay or Craigslist - what should I know?

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Just got my new PC up and running. Obviously, I want to play some kick ass games on it. However, being a cheap bastard, I don't want to just run down to the nearest Fry's Electronics and start buying games, nor do I want to buy them on Steam if it isn't one of those amazing sales that they are having. Here are some of the games I'm interested in:

Mirror's Edge ----------------------- $19.99 (Steam)

Fallout 3 ----------------------------- $19.99 (Steam)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ---------$29.99 (Steam)

Darksiders------------------------------$19.99 (Steam)

Orange Box-----------------------------$19.99 (Steam)

Crysis 1 --------------------------------$29.99 (Steam)

While $19.99 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, being the cheap bastard that I am, I would prefer to pay like 5 bucks or 7 bucks, or maybe 10 bucks for most of these games. All my money went into building the PC, so I don't have tons of cash left over for the games. I've seen some used PC games on my local Craigslist, and I've also seen used PC games on Ebay. Since, I'm a total newb when it comes to PC gaming, what do I need to know in terms of buying used PC games? I was orginially under the impression that there wasn't a used PC gaming market, because I thought that the game was tied to the original PC that it was installed on. Is this not the case? How do I make sure I don't get screwed?

On a side note, I'll definitely be buying my fair share of games off Steam and D2D and stuff like that, but I'm going to wait for the really good deals. In the meanwhile, I want to get a few cheap games to keep me busy.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
from my understanding many games are now tied to an account, example: if you buy a steam game that someone already registered with their steam account you'll have to through hoops to get that game under your account. The only way I believe you can do this is if you take a picture of the CD-KEY with your current email address. Still this is a headache compare to just waiting for the games to go on sale.
Other non-steam games have similar DRM tools that are tied to an account and you'll need to contact the that company to register your 2nd hand game.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Nah, I'm not a kid. I've bought and sold stuff on Craigslist all the time. Normally the people I meet on CL are very friendly, tech savvy type people. Maybe it's just the area I'm living (Northern California).

I'm talking about physical CD's or DVD's. Not Steam or any of the downloadable services. I thought I heard from somebody that on certain PC games, you can use the serial # on say 3 different PC's. So, I was figuring that these people selling used games maybe only used it on one PC, and it could still be put on another PC. I know that isn't the case with certain publishers, and it probably varies game to game.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
LarryJones1,
Steam is not only a download service but also a DRM (digital rights management).
This is software that is embedded into the game that connects the serial number of a game to a steam account. So even if you bought a CD/DVD of a game, install it and enter the serial number you still won't be able to play it because that serial number is tied to the previous owners steam account. You will need to contact steam to have the serial number attached to your account.

There are other games that have DRM that prevents the game from installing on multiple machines.

If you decide to buy 2nd hand games you need to know what type of DRM comes with the game and how you will be able to play it.

^ yup. I liked the older days when you got your CD with serial key, as long as you didn't register it online, you could give that CD to any friend who would be able to install and play the game fine (given he didn't register it online either).

Now publishers come up with all these fancy DRM features. You'd have to find out what kind of DRM a game uses and if the previous user registered his serial number or not.

MrDrift

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Mirrors Edge?????
I remember I got that game for $4 in Aussie at a GAME store

I also suggest just buying the game new because once they have registered the game onto steam there is no way to get the game back and sell it :(

(thinks of Bulletstorm)

anthonyla65

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
As long as you don't play online, you could get those disc's with CD Key fairly cheaply on ebay. Like CoD4 :Modern Warfare only requires CD Key for online and you could play offline once its installed. Its the newer fancy games like Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company which requires the fancy DRM.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Hmm. Yesterday, I bought two used PC games from this dude on Craiglist. Civilization 4, and Modern Warfare 2. I installed Civ 4, and it seems to be working just fine with no problems. I haven't played online against anybody yet, so I don't know if that will affect anything. As for Modern Warfare 2, the guy said that he had it linked to his Steam account, but that he un-installed it, and that I should be able to link it to my steam account. I went home and tried getting it to work, but Steam wouldn't let it work because of the duplicate CD key that was still tied to his account. I've tried emailing Steam support, taking a picture of the CD key, etc, etc, but haven't heard back yet.

So, you're saying that there is no way that I'm going to be able to play this Modern Warfare 2 game? Maybe you're right, I don't know cause I'm totally new to this. I guess I'll just have to wait for Steam Support to email me back and see what's what.

MrDrift

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009

Yes, there is nothing you can do to get MW2 to work with your Steam account Unless you buy a new key....
When the guy uninstalled it, he probably meant he uninstalled it from his computer but the CD-Key is still registered with his account.

He doesn't physically own the game anymore, but he still owns the key, which means he is able to download it from steam and still play it.

You can read about one guys problem here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1347888

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I believe I read this on Steam somewhere but you can take a picture of your game, + cd key and your email address associated with Steam and email steam that you are the new owner. It is up to steam to transfer the license to your account.
Normally, once you buy the game through Steam it is forever attached to your account unless you but the game from steam as a gift and then you can give it to another person with a steam account.

Buying used games is not a good idea anymore because of the DRM issue as you are finding out now. It's best to wait for Steam deals and you can buy the games really cheap (like under $10) or you can goto GOG.com for much older games that don't have DRM. Online buying is safer than going through craigslist for used PC games.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

If he still owns the key, then why can't he sell me the key, or transfer the key to me. Because the key is what it's all about right? I mean, having a physical game without a usable key, is like having a car with no engine inside it.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
For your question you need to talk to Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

"E. Restrictions.

Except as otherwise permitted under Section 2(C) with regard to the SDK, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose."

leaveitunderground

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

How do I do that btw? I just bought CoD2 and it's already registered. Could you explain to me which hoops I have to jump through?

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Never buy used PC games or PC games from sources your unsure of.

Unlike console games its not the disc which matters, its the key. As soon as someone has seen the key its worthless to anyone bar that person.
Most game media can be legally downloaded, its the key which authenticates the purchase.

If you want cheap games wait for the Steam sales. Generally they have 2 big ones a year (summer and christmas) and its normally atleast 33% off every title and upto 90% of the daily specials.
Its also worth checking out Steam trading, generally people will sell or trade for games at less then Steam retail rates.

Because that key is verified against a key/certificate server. The server is under the control of steam or the game developer. The server identifies that key with a specific account. Until steam or the developer updates the key server, the key is still associated with the old account. Just because he "sold" you the key doesn't mean steam or the developer is aware of this. This is why you need to contact steam or whoever and have them update the key server or issue you a new key.