Direct X 11 Should be Discontinued

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

I know this must sound like im crazy, don't you think DirectX 11 should be discontinued?

As we all know DX9 is stable in regards to how smooth games run, but now its become crazy. I mean i see on other sites people begging and pleading for DX11 just to see a stone bumped ground or a much clearer shadow, The clothing material etc.

Yes this is advanced compared to DX9 standard and would be disrespectful to our PC's to lose this but shouldn't they just rid us of this unstable build and take there time and make another DX version more stable and better on performance.

Or DX9 with all the enhancements as we have seen in newer games such as crysis 2, Crysis 2 we all have to admit looks really good despite being in DX9 compared to older games.

Lets hear some views or idea's.

Thank you

I don't even have DX11 capability yet, so I can't really say yay or nay, but the response to DX11 hasn't been overwhelming, has it? Most of the comparative screenshots have left me with a distinct "Meh" feeling.

Having said that, Nvidia are pushing tessellation really hard, and AMD have responded with the 6xxx cards, so I can't see DX going back to the way things were.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well it doesn't really have to go back as such just maybe enhance features of our most stable DX version, Due to demand people want DX 11 added but its creating delays all round and less production.

Where you get a DX 9 game and it is on a conveyer belt, im not saying do without advancement trust me i care about detail its just stability is a priority, BFBC 2 is the only game that has been stable besides the odd bug.

Look at Avp 2010 the worst game in dx11 i ever saw the sky is all messed up

no way, dx11 brings enhancements to dx9, crysis 2 looked good but it could have looked so much better the lighting is harsh the beasties looked cartoonish as did the soldiers...
dx11 would have given a much more subtle feel with much better lighting effects deeper shadows. more realistic surface textures. over all it would have put the game on a higher level and in real terms would probably have been less strenuous on the gpu. and thats not even adding tessellation. nah dx9 is what it needs to be. dx11 is what will be...
the real problem is that at the moment the games companies aren't integrating it into the game engines, games like bf3 and deus ex will change that. when toughs games arrive you will see the real benefits in gfx. not only will they look better they will require less overall resources to get dx9 details because they will already be optimized with dx11 then render in dx9, i know that sounds odd. but dx9 and 10 take relatively less gpu power on a dx11 card than they do on a dx9 or 10 card.
a point born out of benchmarking dx10 games with dx11 hardware that were in the same performance bracket.
a dx10 card with 128 shaders gets pummeled by a dx11 card with 128 shaders often by as much as 10-15 percent. even when matched clock for clock.

aguerrrero84

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Most games being console ports is probably the largest reason for no DX11. Most games designed for PC feature DX11. Even WoW has it now.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Remember ports are easy to cross platform as its already coded and built, Im not promoting ports i have never owned a console nor shall i ever get one, There so few DX11 games but i doubt the reason for that is ports, I believe it takes a tremendous amount of to time to create a game like that.

Problem is there is more demand that production and when the dev's take long we complain, they push the game out fast DX 9 only we complain so why don't they just enhance a stable version that gives the feel of tesselation and just correct DX11 and then intergrate it.

Im also starting to believe they waiting for the next gen consoles to come out before they create the leaps in graphical enhanced software.

Its so funny how i believed getting a DX11 card would land me in a sweet spot for the upcoming DX 11 games now you look at the ratio its as if we not demanding it.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Also with regards to the ported games dilemma, I believe its just in place to shut us up while they take there time to make the 5 odd good ones, look at any gaming site that shows you up coming games, 3 / 10 will be DX11 or atleast PC based am i wrong or am i right in that theroy

aguerrrero84

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Yes - which by then consoles will have more capable DX11 hardware. Most games are designed for consoles. Developers aren't going to take the time and money to add DX11 effects when they can easily port it over.

The games designed primarily for PC almost always feature DX10 or DX11. Bioshock had it 4 years ago.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Ok but then why fool us PC gamers into upgrading our hardware and software for DX 11 applications only to slap us across the face with console ports it should be equal all round

aguerrrero84

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Because that's the way businesses work. I agree it sucks and I miss the days when games like HL, HL2, Unreal were all PC based and couldn't even be ported to consoles. But now consoles have taken over the gaming market.

When the next generation of xbox is born, be very surprised if the gpu isn't DX11, as it no doubt will be an ATI part based on atleast 6xxx series if not the next generation and M$ change the DVD format for higher capacities, a lot will be taken up by HD graphcs/video which will ned DX11 horsepower.

I think the console vs PC debate is a very valid one. Why are developers not pushing as hard as they used to when it comes to keeping their games on the cutting edge? Probably because it's easier to make money out of the console market, dare I say with less effort and innovation required. Really top-notch, A-list PC titles that could make full use of the DX11 capabilities are very scarce, and I'm not optimistic that things will improve in the near future.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
yes, let's take a 5 year step back from DX 11 to DX9 and forget about multi-core optimizations, tessellation, and any number of various improvements that the latest version brings to the table. While DX10 was definitely not a ground-breaking advance in graphics API, there's a lot to love in DX11 (hell, WoW players notice significant fps increases under the DX11 api).

Why don't we just go back to open GL 1.0? Shader models are for children.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
But Crysis 2 is only DX9 and it has the best graphics ever! What is wrong with you PC gamers, why can't you see that? The human eye can't see more than 30 fps, so console graphics @ 30 fps is L337. Don't you guys know how to use the interwebs to find information?!?!?!

Why do we need DX11, you can barely notice the bumps on the ropes and rocks on the Heaven demo anyway. And who really needs better looking textures and lighting in Crysis 2, because it is already so L337, its on the consoles so it is already at the pinnacle of 2005 technology. Don't you guys have the same cell phone, TV, MP3 player, clothes, shoes, and PC from 2005? Why would we need to ever have anything newer and more advanced than something from 2005?

You're eyes might not be able see more than 30fps but mine can.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
If you take a look at PC's current advancement and then the delay in games that should be utilising it, well you have to ask yourself what was the mass upgrades for if with stuck with majority console DX9 ports and one out of three promised DX11 games which probably would just be a port.

Most don't care about attention to detail just the gameplay, but people that have jacked up their machines did so under the assumption we would see next gen software.

Now its as if we waiting for the consoles to catch up which is not fair when we as PC gamers already have the technology, So if they don't want to make the games with the advanced hardware and live in 2005 then just get DX 11 out of the picture so we all can go back to how things were.

Benefits of DX 9 as we all know the delay in game development is lowered and releases more frequent DX 11 months before release.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
As amazing as DX11 is visually and performance friendly, its just taking to long game wise or maybe they to focused on consoles that we last on the list, something has to give, i cant blame piracy anymore its something more than that.

This weekend i went to the mall to find a specific game and its worse than before literally no games and said to my girlfriend i guess this is it " The END of PC Gaming " She said this is all BS, So if anyone else can give valid reasoning i would love to hear because its never been like this

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Yeah my girlfriend would also but same time she knows i love gaming so the thought of struggling to find a good game is apparent my side hopefully things will change

Crysis 2 has very poor gaming quality in general (note that the base was consoles that run in dx9 only).
If you want to see dx11 real changes, you should have to see Uniengine or metro 2033. So far no other company has used tesselation to its full extent.
This is "normal". Games that came out 1 year ago, mostly were started 4 years ago (the good ones), so implementing dx11 features to them would be a pain in the ass (you would have to rewrite the code for every unique texture in the game that can benefit from it).

For the games in the end of this year we might start seeing real dx11, till then, i doubt it.